Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

I have 2 days to decide-master gardener????

nancyjane_gardener
10 years ago

I think I'm pretty good at gardening, especially vege gardening. I also compost, love succulents, and am working on orchids (not too well, unfortunately!), but I'm scared!
We're talking 4 hours a day, 2 days a week for 3-4 months!
I just retired early this summer, but don't know if we want to take some trips or not!
I went to the heirloom fest and all the ladies at the MG booth said YES YES! BUT what about traveling this year?!?!?
Also, do I know enough to be a MG?

Comments (17)

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

IMO...it's rather easy...and informative. Though every state/area is different, I'm yet to hear about a bad certified MG program.

The volunteer requirements seem to trip people up more than the education/tests part of the certification...and in most programs you have to keep some hours of volunteering (or applicable work) per year to keep your certification.

Though every area is different...I can recommend that everyone in any area check out the book "Botany for Gardeners" by Brian Capon. It's a book that many libraries have if you don't feel like searching down (or paying for) a copy. It's a great way to get ahead of the curve and prepare for things that are outside the normal realm of common garden knowledge in an easy to understand manner. It does a wonderful job of introducing some more "sciencey" parts of how/why plants do things without going over people's heads with too much information. It may take 2-3 reads before it all sinks in, but it's a wonderful starter resource for the "heavy" side of plant physiology.

Many programs have MG prep or the actual teaching literature available for download in some areas off of the local program's webpage.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    10 years ago

"The volunteer requirements seem to trip people up more than the education/tests part of the certification...and in most programs you have to keep some hours of volunteering (or applicable work) per year to keep your certification."

That was my biggest reservation about the program. It wasn't as easy to put in my volunteer hours as I had hoped. In my location, only certain projects were certified for those hours, and you had to choose from that list.

But aside from that, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The classes were very educational, and there was a lot of reference material handed out - a whole binder full. There were also quite a few good speakers who gave presentations. I was also introduced to Seed Savers Exchange through the handout materials (some of their varieties were recommended for my area) and that forever changed the way that I garden.

IMO, the best thing about the classes - and about being a MG - is networking. Not just with other gardeners either; in my class, there were a lot of horticultural professionals. You will learn from your classmates as well as from the instructors, and will probably form some lasting relationships.

So my recommendation is to go for it, as long as you are prepared to set aside time for your volunteer hours (and get clarification from the program manager on how you will be expected to do that).

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I agree with all of the above. The learning opportunities are substantial and in our state so are the certified volunteer opportunities. And we all love talking gardening with other gardeners!

Review the volunteer options list for your state and make sure they are things you are willing to and can make the time to do.

Dave

• glib
    10 years ago

If you are already successful at growing crops, and your time is limited, why commit? This forum is as good as the course, and takes a lot less time.

• gardengal19
    10 years ago

I agree with glib and my passion for gardening is kept alive by all those who contribute to the forums. And I am a retired MG who knows how much time and commitment is involved with the MG program.

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think I would have a problem with the volunteer hours. I've already set up a school garden for the Spec Ed class I retired from, and there are many more out there!
    I'm just not sure about the time commitment. We haven't taken any trips yet and that would eat up 3-4 months!
    Then again, there are all those winter months to fill!
    I'm thinking I might put it off for a year and explore other short term goals.
    Of course, I have til tomorrow to change my mind yet again! Nancy

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

Go for it. You'll get a lot of education and reading material. You can always leave.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

In my area, the training hours are one 6-hour day a week, for 11 successive weeks.
    The required volunteer hours the first year equal hours of training -- 66 hours. But you can get an extension on the time to accumulate the hours if you discuss it with the MG Program Coordinator.

Then, only 25 volunteer hours a year are required for the 2nd and following years.

We also have a requirement for continuing education each year. Easy and fun while extending your knowledge.

Even so, you sound as if you have other things to do first. Your choice! The Extension Service wants willing volunteers, not grumpy slave labor.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

It was something I always wanted to do. When I finally was unable to work I was able to take the MG class. I learned alot. That I knew very little after 20 years of working at plant nurseries and garden centers. Learning about orchids takes time. I worked at an orchid nursery for a year and learned alot. It's not as hard as most people think to grow orchids. Anyway, I had to give 75 volunteer hours back, but if you really think about it I had 365 days to do it in. I don't always enjoy the other MG's because they are rich and lazy. Not all of them are that way. I enjoy and learn alot of great info going to other counties for classes. I couldn't go to these classes if I was an MG. It is alot to take on, but I think it is well worth your while.

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

"I don't always enjoy the other MG's because they are rich and lazy."

I almost hate saying this...but in my area this can be an issue with some volunteer groups.

The "rose caretaker" MG'rs around here have an especially horrid reputation. They're "in charge" of a few gardens and maintenance around here and they are both very set in their ways and very cliquish. In the 5+ years I had to work around them I only saw 1 "new person" invade the clique and it was quite obvious many of the existing people knew this person.

When I was working (not volunteering, working) for a university I got absolutely dressed down by a few of these people because I was using a bench opposite of them to pot up plants for a nearby research greenhouse. Not only was I there before them...and not using the bench they had reserved for them...which they brought FOOD and DRINK into (which is very much against the rules of the area)...they were upset some guy was in the same area they were in. They assumed I was a student volunteer or a student working on a project as far as I could tell. Either way their manner was extremely unwarranted even if I was "just as student" rather than a researcher.

When I explained I was a university employee doing research all of the dressing down stopped and they wanted me to give them a tour of the research greenhouse. Not only was this not going to happen (because we have to keep it immaculate clean from possible carried contamination), it was not what they wanted to hear and they went back to dressing me down afterwards loudly complaining about having to share space and how this "never happens."

Keep in mind we're talking about 30ft. of bench space...times 2...on 2 separate sides...and they weren't even using 10ft of their reserved bench (counting the food they brought)...and there were only 3 people there.

Btw, I let them keep their food and didn't even bring it up. It just wasn't worth trying to deal with this because it would have turned on me as "trying to pick a fight." Plus, they weren't on my bench.

That's just 1 of "too many" stories about this particular group of MG'rs who are a bit too cliquey and rather rudely self-anointed-privileged. Some of them also make some rather inappropriate rose pruning cuts, though they mostly do a good job maintaining their parts of the garden they are assigned to.

I kinda feel sorry for others who are genuinely interested in rose caretaking, but don't get a chance to fill some of the volunteer positions horded by this group of people.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I'm right with you nc-crn. They are very clicky here and easily offended. I try and turn the other cheek. I am not there to please them. They wait until the last minute to do everything . Alot is expected from those of us that aren't in the click. It is very frustrating, but I am determined not to quit! A few of them have quit because of various reasons. I can only pray the worst ones will quit too!

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I've decided to wait until next year. There are a lot of things to explore this year, and I don't have to be a MG to help with the school gardening movement!
    Thanks for all of your input! Nancy

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I've seen several people with an MG after their name who turn out not to be very knowledgable. The program seems to be more about volunteering than acquiring knowledge.

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

Passing the tests is one thing...retaining the knowledge is other.

After you pass the tests there are no more tests...5 years later, 10 years later, 20 years later, etc.

Like a lot of education, even higher education, it's about what you want out of it and what you're willing to do "off the clock" to maintain or broaden that knowledge.

I still read my old soil and plant physiology texts every once in a while as well as keep up on current science reseach even though I earned my "pieces of paper" many years ago and a chunk of it isn't pertinent to my current work. It's something I enjoy.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

NC, I was looking at Botany for Gardeners on Amazon. It is available for the Kindle. Do you think the diagrams and photos will still be useful on a Kindle or is that a book that would be better suited to print?

As far as the discussion above, while I think this site is incredibly informative and useful, the one area it is often deficient is accounting for the differences of location with the differences in climate and the way such differences impact the hoped for vegetables.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

As for "clicky MGs."

MGs are people.

People come in all sorts & variations: Very nice, also helpful; nice; so-so; crabby; clicky; bossy; and more

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

"NC, I was looking at Botany for Gardeners on Amazon. It is available for the Kindle. Do you think the diagrams and photos will still be useful on a Kindle or is that a book that would be better suited to print?"

I truly have no idea. While I do have some books on my IPad, I'm one of those people that still find it difficult to use because I'm very used to flipping back/forth with paper for instant gratification.

I don't know how the diagrams/pictures would show up, but they are a somewhat important part of the book.

If you are near a public library, it's a commonly stocked book for a lot of libraries. Also, a lot of public libraries have online searches for what they carry and you may be able to check and see if they have it without visiting in person.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 17:49