Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I crossed Sugar Baby and Moon & Stars watermelons!

Posted by nick_b79 4/5 Southeast MN (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 1:40

Last year I grew a mixture of Moon and Stars and Sugar Baby watermelons in my garden. I decided to save the seeds to see what would grow, and planted a dozen this spring. The horrible drought took it's toll, so I only now have a few melons maturing. However, the ones I have appear to be crosses between the parents: they're Sugar Baby size with the yellow stars of Moon and Stars!

I'd like to try to maintain this strain and develop a true-breeding variety of my own from it. Any advice on how to go about doing this? I was planning on saving more seed this year from the few melons I have, planting out a few dozen hills next year, and saving seed from any melons that appear to have the same desirable traits.

If I can develop my own landrace, my wife wants to call it Sugar Stars. I like Star Baby :-) Oh, and has anyone heard of a cross like this that's already been done that would defeat the point of my work? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I crossed Sugar Baby and Moon & Stars watermelons!

Can see some pic of them. And your graden.

o

Size isn't going to tell you anything about the genetics of your seed. Drought or crowding will all make the melons smaller. Beyond that I have no idea if you can make a stable line from this seed. I'd think it very difficult. The seed from even one melon could vary in genetic makeup.

o

I say, dream big! You might want to contact someone from a county extension office or just google for info on creating your own hybrids. Even if you only got Baby Stars part of the time, who cares? That's still exciting. Best wishes in your endeavour!

o

I just want to add: the thought has occured to me up here in zone 4 that I would just love to be able to grow Moon and Stars, but in a small, quicker to mature size. I think that has a definite market appeal to those of us with short growing seasons!

o

Sounds like a fun project to me.

I recommend you get the book, "Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties" by Carol Deppe. It will be highly interesting to you.

Jim

o

Sounds like a fun project to me.

I recommend you get the book, "Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties" by Carol Deppe. It will be highly interesting to you.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here