Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mindingthemanor

Zucchini ... when is it 'done'

mindingthemanor
13 years ago

How do I know when my summer zucchini plant is done? I am in zone 9 SoCal where I'm told our growing season is extended. I should mention this is my first vegetable garden.

I was about to pull the plant because it seemed to have stopped sending blossoms and the few I'd seen were only male. Now I've got a few females that should open in the next couple of days, but still wondering... is the lack of blossoms what tips you off to when it is time to pull the plant? Or is it just a personal thing (as in, you want to move on to something new in the spot where the squash was).

How do you know? Thanks in advance for your insights.

Comments (6)

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

You need to go along with your specific conditions. Watch your plants and gradually experience will tell you when they are not worth keeping any longer. If you get frost the zucchini plant will die. Without frost just wait until no more are produced, unless you need the space. In my climate the plants sometimes start to rot from rain and lack of sunshine before the first frost.

• hoodat
    13 years ago

In Southern California we have a longer zuchini season than any other part of the country. I've picked zuchini here in San Diego in December. So long as your plants are putting out new leaves and blossoms you can keep picking. Just keep an eye on the central stem. If it begins to go soft you have about used the plant up.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

My zucchini produces until the plant freezes. It still produces after just enough frost to kill the tips of the leaves, but it doesn't take much cold to kill zucchini.

• susancol
    13 years ago

I wouldn't know about that. Being from Georgia, my Zucchini is done when the SVB kills it.

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

you are better off starting new seeds rather than trying to keep an old plant going. Plants die of old age just like people. Young plants produce better just like people.

If you start new plants in pots you will save a lot of grow time in the garden when you switch to new young plants.

for me, I move on to other plants. But then my grow season is very short.

I never spray anything. I allow nature to take its course. Zuchinni are not long lived in my area.

• bejay9_10
    13 years ago

Not sure which zone 9 you are growing in, but Sunset Zoning seems a bit more defined for planting - especially in So. Cal, with the many microclimates.

So - I like to recommend to my local vegetable gardeners, the seed planting schedule on the web - www.digitalseed.com. Then scroll to their vegetable planting times. This applies mainly to near San Diego gardeners, however.

On that schedule you will see the "winter zucchini" planting times at September/October. I planted some zucchini using the seed packet recommendations - which were earlier. The poor zuke shivered through almost 3-1/2 months of overcast weather - producing nothing. I was about to pull it, then the sun came out, earlier this month, and it began to produce like crazy.

If your plant looks healthy, putting out female blossoms, I'd say leave it in. I think "winter zucchini" is more productive in our zone, than anywhere else.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!