Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

Garden Bed Width and Yield

From reading gardening books and over the web, it appears most of the folks recommend garden beds to be 4' wide. Only few sources recommend wider beds.

I think to achieve better yield, wider beds are needed. It also depends on what vegetable/plants people grow. If it is for crops, like corn, wheat, sunflower etc., the beds can be as wide as you can manage. There is no need to access the plants other than watering and final picking.

But for ready access, such as beans etc., a normal width is needed. Even in this situation, I'll still try to build beds as wide as I can manage. My tomato beds are about 6'-7' wide, to hold two rows of tomato cages. I can pick up tomatoes easily from both sides of the beds.

The less path, the more room to grow. Also, most of the plants do not like to receive the FULL sun from the ground to the top, but want the feet shaded. The tomato plants in the middle of my beds are doing the best, with the ones on the east side doing the worst.

Comments (7)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

RedSun, You are talking my language there. I have unbordered beds from 7 foot wide to 18 feet wide. I would not have it any other way. Course, my gardens are not in the yard and do not need to be stylish., but are production beds. Yes, I have flowers too...about 300 glads and several other beauties.
    I do walk some on the beds, but they are nice and loose and do need some weeding.

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

The 3-4' beds are for home gardeners who might not have the room for "crops", might want to have gardens that you don't step into ( no-till) or in my case, raised beds that are permanent.
    3-4 ft beds are for reaching in to plant weed etc . Nancy

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The narrow beds are mainly for easy picking and other maintenance. But a lot of vegetables/plants do not even need the ready access. This includes the crops, garlic, potatoes, etc. Very or no access is needed.

Narrow beds and access path waste so much land/garden. About 1/2 of the garden space is used by the paths.

9 years ago

For myself, I am not afraid at all to walk on the soil some. Granted, I don't want a herd of elephants or heavy implements on it. I do walk between rows, mainly to weed.

We run our own 'railroads' here and we are all different with different needs, desires, outlooks, and capabilities. For myself, I prefer few paths and then only about 16 inches...yes, I wheelbarrow down them easily.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Foot traffic in general does not compact the soil much, as opposed to the trucks, or other farm vehicles.

I remember reading a garden book. The author did a comparison. Both himself and his wife keep different beds. His wife is light (~100 lbs.?) and walks on the garden bed. The author does not.

By the end of season, the author claims, his beds (no walking) yields about 13% higher than his wife's garden beds (casual walked). I do not know how scientific his study is. But I highly doubt it. There are so many factors other than walking the the beds a few times by a light person.

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

After reading this post, and taking my walk around the block (2 miles in the country), I did see some great gardens in ground that had some wandering paths through them.
    Most appeared to be 4-6' wide, still. I also saw a LOT of gopher damage!
    My beds are 4x8 raised with hardware cloth under each bed. Unfortunately, we have such a bad gopher problem for a home garden we HAVE to have raised beds! The cats can only do so much above ground! Nancy

9 years ago

I haven't had much predator damage here. Last year voles/mice were bad in the sweetpotatoes though. This week I have caught 5 in traps.