Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

Is this Global Warming or what ?

seysonn
10 years ago

Unbelievable mid September all across US, from sea to shining sea. This temperature map shows today at 3AM Pacific, or 6AM Easter.Is this Global Warming or what ?
Yesterday we had a high of 92F or so. Our summer highs have been mostly in low 80s. Today's high will be 85F.
My tomatoes love it. I hope fall radishes won't bolt.

Another score for Al gore.

SORRY, FORGOT TO ATTACH THE PHOTO. HERE IT IS:

This post was edited by seysonn on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 13:02

Comments (25)

• glib
    10 years ago

Friday night is going to be 37 here.

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

Fun with shifting climates.

• gardenlen
    10 years ago

just the weather paying us back for removal of habitat, over here we have just had our 4th warmest winter on record, so it has all happened before.

we are starting summer dry again, the land of drought and flooding rain.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    10 years ago

When it is warmer down here in the states, it is usually colder in Alaska...so much heat to go around.

I read where the Arctic ice is much larger this summer...take two away from Al Gore.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Our summer was a little cooler than normal and very rainy. The highest high was about 92. Sometimes it can get blistering hot here. Just a few years ago we broke a record for the most days above 90 degrees. That was a rough summer. Lots of 98 degree days then. Now it is still 90 and it's supposed to be in the upper 80's. I can't wait for it to cool down and the humidity to go away.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    10 years ago

It's called "weather". Climate is something else. But it has been pretty warm weather.

BTW, arctic ice is increasing this year. More than last years record low. Yep, that's "weather" again. But on a time scale of decades, it's way down. That's "climate".

The difference between weather and climate is profoundly important, but a lot of people can't understand the difference.

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

Basically, a change in climate can (and usually will) cause a shift in weather patterns.

I've lived in Chicago my entire life, and what I'm seeing in the last decade is weather patterns that are very abnormal for what I've experienced in my 33 years here. My parents also concur, the weather is weird, and not just weird in the normal Chicago way. It's not all bad. We've seen an extended growing season. Winters have been milder. The last two winters were just weirdly warmer. Last year in mid December I still had a blanket flower blooming. The year before I had pansies in a pot next to the porch that bloomed all winter.

• elisa_z5
    10 years ago

Last winter we had 60 in January, and then the snow and cold lasted until mid April.
    Global weirding.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Or what.

Agree with other posters, one day's weather snapshot is not indicative of climate. We had a very long, cool, wet Spring here this year... so using the same logic, one could say that was evidence of a coming ice age.

This subject is frequently discussed on Hot Topics, and since it inevitably leads to politics, that is where it belongs. I like my veggies free of chemicals and politics, both of which I find equally distasteful.

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

"Global weirding"

That's the most accurate term for it!

And I had a similar winter to you Elisa. It almost was like winter was shifted. Bizarrely warm through January, then the cold finally hit and wouldn't leave.

This post was edited by CaraRose on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 22:34

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I personally had no intention to politicize any thing. The name of thread is just partly humor.
    This planet of Earth, has seen glowing hot and ice ages and the Sun ones day will run out of its energy and won't shine anymore.
    Our life is too short to concern ourselves with the future of the third rock from the sun.
    Let us grow some cabbage.

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

Snowball earth, Permian mass extinction. Earth keeps going, so does life. Come 1000 years from now, the Earth will still be here and so will be some form of life or another. Probably until the day the sun runs out of hydrogen and expands into a red giant and incinerates this hunk of rock.

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

For a very interesting read on this general subject (climate change and potential impact on crops as well as a proposed solution) look at John Hamaker's book "the survival of civilization".

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Global warming every summer.

Global cooling every winter :-)

• glib
    10 years ago

Climate change has been proven to be correlated with large weather oscillations. So in a sense this is further proof of global warming. But this year we had a long if not very cold winter, a cold spring, a cold summer, and now with 15 days of unexpected September weather the whole year is hot? I don't think so, and 37F (patchy frost) in mid-september here is unusual. In an average year we get maybe 30 days above 80, not sure we got 15 this year.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My Point was from my point of view, here at the PNW. And that was, during mid summer, our highs were in low 80s and now we hit near record(?) temperatures, mid September heat wave. AND I LIKE IT.
    Reference to Al Gore was just part of the humor.

Lets plant some radishes.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    10 years ago

The weather patterns this summer. Over here in SC 7b, are similar to the patterns in the 1960's.

Cooler and wetter than the last 15 or 20 years.

I don't believe in man made Global Warming. But I do believe in weather pattern cycles.

The weather has gotten hotter and/or cooler with those cycles for centuries before industrialization.

I'm not going to say what I think of "Big Al"........

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    10 years ago

Here in N Central Ohio we finally had summer. All 3 days of it!!! Now it's back to mid/late fall weather. I shouldn't admit to this (now y'all will know how old this Old Broad really is) but back when I was in HS in the late 60's-early 70's everyone was watching for a coming Ice Age. So... we just roll with the punches. Weather; everyone talks about it but there's nothing we can do about it!
    Seysonn, I think I'd rather plant lettuce now :^) I'm not a big fan of radishes.
    Edie

• elisa_z5
    10 years ago

Yay! Patchy frost warning for tonight just got lifted -- lows in the 40's instead of mid 30's. I'll leave the tomatoes and basil to live another week. Looks like it's been lifted for everywhere except northern Michigan.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

This thread is funny. Thanks for the laughs!

• terrene
    10 years ago

I will leave it up to the climate scientists to try and sort out the details of what's happening. But the fact that the atmospheric CO2 started at 280 ppm in pre-industrial times and has recently broken 400 ppm, and will keep rising due to anthropogenic causes, no doubt has some effect on climate.

I am currently raising a Giant Swallowtail (Papilio cresphontes) caterpillar inside my house - along with the Black swallowtails (P. polyxenes). Both of these species lay eggs on the rue growing in my veggie garden. Historically Massachusetts is part of the native range for the Blacks but not Giants, who are only starting to breed in this state in the past few years. The scientist theorize that their range is pushing northward due to warming climate.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, Lettuce time.
    Our honeymoon is ending this coming Monday Day highs are gonna go down to 60s F. pretty soon our rain season will step in.

But according to the locals(I am a new transplant) this has been one of the best summers around here. So I should not complain. I hope my winter radishes and onions/scallions will do fine.
    I have been topping new flowers and growth on my tomatoes since early August in anticipation. I have not yet tasted a fruit from my Brandywine. And my tomatillo has just 3 fruits. hahaha.

My your rest of the season be warm and long .

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

The weather changed yesterday afternoon, here. Cool and clear. Need to dig the potatoes before the voles get hungry.

• glib
    10 years ago

We got down to 34. The tomatoes appear to be alive, though they may have been helped by the heat given off by the driveway.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Yeah, we plant container veggies around our 20,000 gallon swimming pool. A nice heat sink for the first few cool days of fall :-)