Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrhayseed

Sweet Pepper Question

mrhayseed
9 years ago

Hello, I am new to GardenWeb, first post here. I have a question about my sweet peppers. The variety is a Bulgarian Heirloom - Chervena Chujski. I bought the seeds from Landreth Seed Co. Planted them on May 5th. I treat them like my babies because I usually don't grow from seed. They are healthy and green with lots of large peppers. The packet says they'll turn green to brown to red when ripe. They are all still green and only a few have some small dark lines of brown forming. Do you think they'll ever ripen to red? It's been far longer than the 85 days to maturity. Any advice would be great. Thank you. I did post a photo, but I don't know it it worked or not.

- Jason

Comments (12)

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Have not grown that variety, but yes they will eventually turn red. Most of that type ( frying peppers) turn red much quicker than bells. Whether you have time to wait for them them depends on where you are. The first frost will do them in. That 85 day DTM is from transplant. Cool weather extends that time considerably.

• mrhayseed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much FarmerDill for your quick answer. I appreciate it.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    9 years ago

"... Whether you have time to wait for them them depends on where you are." (Farmerdill)

I agree. It also depends upon whether you are willing to protect the plants from the first frosts. Covering the plants when frost threatens can give you an extra 2-4 weeks, even longer if you supply a little heat under the cover. That extra time can really count, because once the plants are kissed by near-freezing temperatures, they direct all of their energy into ripening the oldest fruits.

About half of my peppers are in covered PVC cages. I do this primarily for seed saving, to get pure seed... but it has the added advantage of protecting from light frosts in the Fall. The cover that I use is too thin to provide freeze protection, but if something is close to ripening, I'll throw an extra layer over the cage, and put a light bulb inside to supply a little heat.

Incidentally, the cages also accelerate ripening. I apply the cover when flowering begins... when enough peppers have set for seed, I open only the South facing side. This allows predators to control the aphid population (which would explode if I just left the plants covered) but still protects from the North wind & traps a little extra heat. This year, I planted rows of peppers, and covered only part of the rows for seed saving. The peppers in the cages began ripening 7-10 days before those in open ground, which will allow me to get more seed than I would otherwise... and I can eat the ripe peppers after I remove the seeds. Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too. ;-)

I grew Chervena Chujski once about 10 years ago, they are really beautiful when ripe.

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

Do these peppers have good flavor? Are they hot?

• mrhayseed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

weirdtrev - Thank you! Great advice :)

zeedman - Wow, sounds like you grow a lot of peppers! You've been a great help, thanks again.

• mrhayseed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Slimy_Okra - I haven't tried them yet :) But I hear they're very tasty & sweet. Looking forward to my harvest!

• Anne Wolfley
    9 years ago

I've grown them and they taste really good. They are sweet, not hot.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

I'm happy to hear that frying peppers ripen faster than bells. I didn't know that. So they're on my wish list for next year. I like to fry red bells and pour the whole olive oil pepper shebang over a baked potato. I'll probably try Lipstick. Thanks !

• tracydr
    9 years ago

Leave them until frost threatens. I've ripened peppers on my counter many times. It works if they have started to change color.
    If they don't turn they'll still be good green.

• mrhayseed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tracydr! :)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

I'm going to grow the "Lunchbox" variety next year. The Red type. Can't wait! They are supposed to be really good.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!