Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebars

Germination times

bluebars
13 years ago

I wish the companies that sell seed in packets would add germination times. On 8/22, I planted 5 different kinds of lettuce. They have not dried out, but it has been really hot weather since.

Only 2 plants germinated (Black-seeded Simpson). Those 2 plants were about 1/4 inch tall yesterday morning. Unfortunately, by 5PM they both completely disappeared. Just GONE! Other lettuce types have not germinated. Maybe I planted them too deeply? Maybe it's not too late to try again?

Since I'm not sure of germination times, how long should I wait?

Radishes, carrots, are up and growing. Peas did not all germinate either, only a handful. Spinach, less than half germinated.

BlueBars

Comments (12)

• t-bird
    13 years ago

lettuce I just kind of drop on the soil and let the water bury it. So far my germination is fine......

With hot weather, little lettuce seedlings will fry up and disappear in a flash, they also may have been a tasty treat to someone - so hard to say.

Fall weather is finally making a show here - I'll need to replant many items.....perhaps you could plant some more too?

• ashley9597
    13 years ago

How hot has it been? Are you talking 80's, 90's, higher? While I agree with the frustration of not knowing how long something takes to germinate, it is also important to keep in mind the optimum germination temperature. I don't know who you are ordering from, but most companies have in their magazine the optimum germination temperature. Any temperature outside that norm is going to decrease the germination rate. With everything you listed (radishes, carrots, lettuce, peas) the best germination temperature would be around 70 - 75°, no more. I am generalizing. I think peas actually have a slightly lower optimum temperature. It sounds to me that it is too hot in your area. You could always start lettuce seedlings indoors and move them out once it is cooler. I have attached a table that I believe I found on this forum before. I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting the link. It gives germination times and temps. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Germination table with temps and times

• bluebars
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the info. Great link--yes all should be up and growing by this time. It's been hot hot record-breaking hot.
    But I wonder, as weather cools, will those seeds still germinate? Or should I consider them toasted?
    Meanwhile, I'll plant some more lettuce outdoors (between the already planted rows) and a few indoors to transplant in cooler weather, and cross my fingers and toes to harvest some before mid-October frost.
    Glad I saved some seed!
    BlueBars

• ashley9597
    13 years ago

I don't believe that when the weather cools the seeds will still germinate. I believe they are "fried". I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't waste time waiting for them to hopefully make an appearance. Just try again with new seed when it cools off a bit. Have you thought of growing the baby lettuces? They are ready to harvest in about a month and you can start them indoors. You can let them mature to full size or you can cut them early. They are perfect for the cut and come again method. The seed packet will tell you days to maturity for both. Just another option if you are short on time.

• bluebars
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Baby Lettuce? What is considered Baby Lettuces? I planted Little Gem, Winter Marvel, Prizeleaf and the Black Seeded Simpson. Are any of those considered Baby?
    BlueBars

• skeip
    13 years ago

Baby Lettuce refers not to a type of Lettuce, but rather a size. There are microgreens which is basically sprouts, maybe one or two true leaves. Baby lettuce is generally acknowledged to be half or less size of the final plant, certainly less that 2" tall, very young, very tender. If you plant thickly enough these can be handled like a cut and come again crop.

Also re germination, I find that if I cover the seeds with potting soil instead of garden soil, I get lest "crusting" and much better germination. It also seems to hold the moisture better.

Steve

• bluebars
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another good idea to cover seeds with potting soil for less crusting--easier for those tiny seeds to break through.
    Hey, what's with the Silverado advertisement link at *garden* soil? Did you do that, skeip, or gardenweb??
    BlueBars

• bluebars
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now the advertisement is gone from skeip's post, and on my post. Some new thing with advertising on gardenweb I see.
    BlueBars

• skeip
    13 years ago

Not me, it's that nasty bing thing.

Steve

• pippimac
    13 years ago

Get firefox adblock if you don't like the pesky pop-ups.
    I presume every server has its own version.

• ashley9597
    13 years ago

I have to disagree that microgreens are basically sprouts. Sprouts do not need sunlight while microgreens do. Sprouts are eaten when they have grown their first set of leaves while microgreens have grown more. Sprouts you eat everything, the leaves, shoot, and root. Microgreens you clip only the leaves to eat. You are eating each at different growing stages. There is debate that they are the same, however, I do not feel that they are. I encourage you to do a goodle search and decide for yourself. Please click on the link below. I am in no way advertising here, I recently ordered lettuce from Johnny's and I know they have pictures that might help. When the page opens click on the first lettuce, red sails. You can see that it says DTM 29 baby and 55 full size. Now it is hard to visualize because they show a full size head of lettuce in the picture. Scroll down and click on galactic. That shows a picture of what you would harvest in the baby stage. All you do is clip the outer leaves and it will continue to put out new growth. I like to harvest in the baby stage because I am impatient, but it may be good for you if you don't have much time before it gets too cold. You could always plant some to harvest baby and then let some go to full size. I hope that helps to clarify.

Here is a link that might be useful: Johnny's red leaf lettuce