Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gertrude1_gw

Glueing pennies to raised beds for slug control

Gertrude1
9 years ago

I read that glueing pennies to raised beds deters slugs. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Comments (9)

• hilnaric
    9 years ago

I don't know about that, but you can buy copper slug tape that is supposed to work and seems like it would be a whole lot easier and not much, if any, more expensive.

• skeip
    9 years ago

Buying generic copper wire on a spool is even cheaper. Pound nails every two feet or so, run a length down one side of the nail, wrapping around the nails to anchor and then down the other so you have two wires, about 1/4" apart. Slugs and snails will not cross this!

Steve

• hilnaric
    9 years ago

That's a great idea, skelp.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

slugs are the bane of the hosta world ...

and i dont think there are many peeps convinced copper will do anything to deter them ...

you could ask the same in that forum ...

there are also FAQs in that forum.. and the garden clinic forum ....

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

one might wonder.. these days.. if there is enough copper in a penny ... hmmmm....

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I have my doubts about using pennies for the job, as the copper content is so low, but there is no doubt that snails are deterred by copper.

There are plenty of options....copper screening, strips of copper sheeting, wire, flashing, foil. Visit the hardware, home improvement, garden, and craft outlets in your community for your best deals.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

Sluggo or Escar-Go work 100%, are cheap and you don't need to sprinkle on much. They're also completely safe for pets and organic gardens.

• loribee2
    9 years ago

What they said. Plus, if you're trying to glue pennies to wood, it will not withstand the weather. Wood contracts/expands, pennies do not. One or two winters and they'll all fall off.

• danzeb
    9 years ago

A study was done on using copper. What worked best was two bare copper wires connected to a 9 volt battery. Connect one wire to the plus side and the other to the negative side. Create a barrier by runniing the wires 1/2 inch apart. Do not let the wires touch each other since that will short the battery. When the slugs cross the wires they complete the circuit and it will repel or kill them.