Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting 3 summer squash seeds per hole?

Posted by greenacresgirl 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 28, 08 at 8:10

I saw a gardening show a while ago where they advised that you should plant 3 seeds together and NOT thin them. Instead you should let the, grow into one stronger plant.

Anyone have an opinion on this? Would it apply to cukes as well?

Thanks
Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting 3 summer squash seeds per hole?

Far as I know that has been the standard recommendation for as long as I can remember for vining varieties - it's on most seed packets - and works for all members of that family as well as for melons. But the exception is if they are bush varieties or vining varieties.

Dave

o

I've always planted squash 3-4 seeds to a hill with the hills 3-4 feet apart. The plants grow in separate directions down the hill. Its easy to harvest from this plan in the beginning, it gets more difficult as the plants get larger and I do trim select leaves or vines to be able to maintain a walk area. I plant my cukes single seeds 6" apart and grow them up a fence.

o

• Posted by alicate SW Michigan, zone 5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 29, 08 at 21:51

You mean you DON'T thin the three into one? Maybe that's why my melons and cucs are so pitiful! Thanks!

o

You mean you DON'T thin the three into one?

Not if they are vining types. If bush types then yes, you may need to thin to 1 per hill because of the way the bush varieties grow.

o

I have always planted and grown 3 per hill with my bush type also. Never had a problem (other than space during peak growing season) and have always had plenty of squash. As mentioned above, I also do some selective pruning so I can walk around easily.

o

I wouldn't advise it for bush types. It's difficult to get in the plant to pick once they get huge.

o

Hi Michelle

You said: "...you should plant 3 seeds together and NOT thin them. Instead you should let the, grow into one stronger plant."

You really didn't mean three seeds in one HOLE did you LOL? It kinda sounds like it. I don't think if you plant three seeds in one hole they'll form ONE stronger plant. As everybody else has said, two or three seeds per hill (with spacing between each seed) is the general recommendation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here