Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshineboy

anyone growing garlic in the northeast us

sunshineboy
15 years ago

I have never grown garlic in new england previously, and Id like to try this year.

Anyone have suggestions as to where to buy cloves? I understand I need hardneck varieties because it freezes here in new england. Id love to try a few varieties and I understand I need to plant this month.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...sunshineboy

Comments (10)

• justaguy2
    15 years ago

not in the NE (Wisconsin), but most hardnecks should be fine for you. I generally grow Elephant Garlic (actually a leek, but very large cloves), Musik (also called Music) and Siberian. They are all cold hardy in my -20F raised beds with no mulch.

I haven't bought cloves in years since I just replant my own, and don't recall where I got them, but it doesn't make much difference.

• aloha10
    15 years ago

Best source of garlic cloves and info is Filaree Farms of WA state. Google them and get their great, informational catalog. I have been growing garlic in raised beds here in MA for many years. Plant between Columbus Day and end of month. Plant w clove top abourt one inch under surface. Good oranically amended soil with a scattering of balanced fertilizer is good. Mulch with eight inches of straw and don't remove it in the Spring...keeps the weeds down. No you are not limited to hadrdnecks but they are my favorite particularly the Porcelain varieties for their taste and keeping qualities. But that is a matter of taste.Let us know if successful and I will send drying, harvesting,curing and storing infor in July of 2009.
    Good Luck

• sunshineboy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks sconticut and justaguy

• engk916
    15 years ago

i'm going to grow some this year and just purchased some cloves from johnnyseeds.com - they have a few varieties (mostly hardnecks) that grow well in the northeast.

• corapegia
    15 years ago

COME TO THE 20th ANNUAL GARLIC FESTIVAL IN SAUGERTIES, NY.
    If you live in MA, it should be less than 4 hrs drive, it's a 2 days festival and you can buy maybe 20 different types of garlic. I originally got some of my garlic from them but now just replant my own. I grow 100 plants, maybe 20 of them are softneck. The festival is Sept 27 and 28 this year. Also, lots of info and advice on growing. I learned at the Festival that soymeal is a great slow release source for nitrogen and that garlic does best with a hit of K (potasium) when planting and again in June. Plant in late October or early November, late enough so the garlic will grow roots but no green. Mulch, keep weeded. Pick the (hardneck) scapes mid June to increase the size of the bulbs at harvest (July)

Here is a link that might be useful: Saugerties Garlic Festival

• aloha10
    15 years ago

To Corapegia,
    Tnx for all the good info. Do you know of a good mail order source for Soymeal and/or high K fertilizer? Thanks for the reminder on scapes. They are an out of this world gourmet treat for garlic lovers..lots of recipes on the net. This is a great forum. You give and you get.

• nygardener
    15 years ago

Greensand is a good source of potassium and trace minerals. You should be able to find it at most garden centers or hardware stores.

• corapegia
    15 years ago

I get the soymeal (50 lbs sack for about $13) from the local Agway but I have also gotten it from a local feed store. Agway was less costly.
    I dont't rely totally on organic fertilizer though I use manure and compost and rock phosphate and greensand. These are all more expensive by mail because of shipping costs. I use super K from Agway or Adams Garden center, made by Espoma, comes in small bags and is very potent. Use sparingly. I mix the soymeal in the soil when I plant. Each clove is 6" from it's neighbor in all directions. Almost forgot, I soak the separated cloves for 30 min. in a 10% bleach solution before planting to prevent mold and rot.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    15 years ago

A planting time, I use Espoma Bulb Tone, the same product I use for all bulbs. In spring, I side dress with a little dried blood (also Espoma) for nitrogen for the tops. I've been saving my own garlic for at least 8 years (Leningrad and Chesnok Red) and the bulbs are very large.

• marty7784
    9 years ago

Hello everyone. Bare with me I am new at this. I am getting to the age that going to work at a factory is becoming very ,oh what is that word sickening. But I love growing things. Like flowers and a garden and anything that looks pretty. And I know it means longs hours and hard work. But that is OK as long I love what I am doing. So on with the show. I need some help. I have a small piece of property its about 1/2 acre that's clears, and half that's not. just needs to be plowed and taken care of.. And I have done a lot of research on what to grow to make a profit. And what seems easy to sell. If I am wrong please tell me. Since I live in north eastern Penn. Close to the New York state line. And I am looking for what type of garlic will grow the best in cold to hot temperature. I have thought about it and decides to start a small farm. I am sick and so is my wife. And the idea of having the government taking care of me. Wants me to run out the front door screaming for help. So my question after all that what type of garlic should I start with, what type of soil do I need, Is there any special licenses do I need. OR do I just buy a variety soak them and plant them and wish for the best . Like I have heard elephant ear
    has there own problems and people have a hard time growing them. So I am looking for a person or people that can help me start in the right directions. What my goal is, is to be up and planting this fall. So I can start looking towards doing this full time. And start spending time with me wife and just start living. I hope some people understand what I am talking about.