Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unununium_5a

Plants with Vader of root exposed

Unununium
10 years ago

I often have vegetables, and other plants, that when planted by seed tend to grow and mature with the base of the plant looking like the root is exposed. My initial thought is to build the dirt up around it to support it and keep it from falling over. What causes this? I know that I am planting the seed deep enough and dirty is not being washed away.

Comments (16)

• florauk
    10 years ago

Which plants are you referring to? What to do about exposed roots depends on the answer to that question. And what's a Vader?

• Unununium
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, I typed this with my phone this morning on the way to work. My train got in this morning just as I needed to check the message and in my haste, I didn't catch the mistake. I meant to say "base" not Vader. The vegetables in the garden that I am referring to are swiss chard, bok choy and radishes. They are very skinny at the base....almost thread like. Otherwise they look healthy.

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

My chard seedlings that were grown in peat pellets seemed to do this, I think because they were rootbound. The ones I started in peat pots did not have that issue.

• florauk
    10 years ago

OK, I thought maybe 'vader' was a new word for me!

Are these vegetables in the ground outside now or still in their seed medium?

Radishes often lift their shoulders out of the ground. Chard and bok choi I haven't known to do that. I'd be inclined to leave them all alone. As they get bigger I'm pretty sure they'll sort themselves out. They shouldn't fall over if they have enough light.

• Unununium
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Cara. I planted the seeds directly in the ground. Not sure what causes this. I have had this happen with plants that are grown inside, otherwise I would wonder if is the wind blowing on them to much before the stem can develop. I actually think it's the stem that is underdeveloped about a centimeter above the ground which makes it appear as the top of the root being exposed.

• Unununium
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks. must be the lack of enough light. they were sewn directly into the ground.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

A lot of young plants are like that and look so fragile. But as the get bigger and stronger will stand on their own. One reason that have experienced causes that state is NOT ENOUGH SUN. Too much water/rain can also be contributors.

• Unununium
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks seysonn. There is a dead tree in my neighbor's backyard that actually provides quite a bit of shade considering it has no leaves. I'll be more conscious of what to plant there next year and be sure to plant full sun veggies where they belong :)

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

If they are "thread-like" at the base it could be damping off. I know you said they looked healthy otherwise, but when they get like this, do they soon die?

• Unununium
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, no, they don't die. I am guessing it's the lack of enough full-sun hours from what others are saying. I attached a picture showing how none of these seem to be standing up on their own...they do eventually grow upward, but appear to need to be re-planted a little deeper. I admit, a bit close together too. Will get that right next season :)

• art_1
    10 years ago

{{gwi:109752}}

• florauk
    10 years ago

djodts - a few things come to mind on looking at your picture. One is that those bok choi plants are much too crowded and have grown away from each other, exposing the roots. You have 7 plants in a space which would suit 1. Chard need at least a foot between plants when mature. Radishes more like a few inches.

A second thought is that the soil looks rather compacted and wet with the way the stones are exposed on the surface - has it been heavily watered? That could be washing the soil away from the roots.

I would cut several of those plants and eat them right now leaving them much further apart. Then I'd add a little extra soil, maybe 1/2 inch. And then I'd water much more gently.

And it looks as if you have a snail or slug problem.

I like carrot Vader.

• Unununium
    Original Author
    10 years ago

L ove that picture! I didn't think I would get any replies after screwing up the subject line! ha. Yeah, I will definitely space my plants more appropriately next season. The exposed rock is most likely by coincidence. I use a gentle spray/mist. Thanks for your observations/suggestions. much appreciated. My wife and I turned the soil before starting the garden...we just moved in this year...and we discovered an old fence post while digging. There was a decent amount of rock that we removed and will likely be cleaning the leftover rocks for a while as we come across them. BTW, cat owners, please don't bury your dead cat in a plastic bag in the back yard....the new owners might dig it up...like we did. NO root vegetables in that area!

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Thank you, Art!

Also, good tip on the cat funeral arrangements... Or maybe it could at least be marked with a headstone for Fluffy?

I really wasn't sure what I was going to find when I opened this thread. Good times, good times.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Based on your picture, and as Flora pointed out , they are to crowded. At this pint I would keep 3 good ones and pull the rest. And then pour about 1" thick soil on the exposed roots and straighten them up a bit so they are not touching the ground.
    Also get rid of the roted,dried ..leaves. They are magnet for disease. .

BTW: some criters are helping themselves there. Do you have slugs or snails ?

• Unununium
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both. I haven't seen anything on the plants themselves, but yes, I have found slugs around the yard. thanks fir pointing that out. I'll put down some diatomaceous earth or crushed egg shells down.ÃÂ Thanks again.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!