Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something eating my ridge gourd

Posted by xman 7/8 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 11 at 9:37

Hi,

Finally after 4 months of growing wild my ridge gourd plants have finally started fruiting, but something is getting to the fruits and chewing them off even before they reach a couple of inches, the fruits are not completely eaten, just the middle. Also, the tender shoots are snipped off. Everyone of the fruits is eaten off, and it is done during the night or very early in the morning.

What could it be? Squirrels or rats? How do I protect the fruits?

thanks,
xman

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something eating my ridge gourd

Some animals will eat fruits and vegetables to get moisture in hot weather. A friend was having similar trouble with her plants, so she set out some extra plant saucers filled with water (several sizes, most fairly large) away from her garden area, and kept them filled. The problem wasn't eliminated, but it improved quite a bit.

You could also try tying netting over the fruits, allowing for growth... at least while they're small and tender.

Sue

o

• Posted by xman 7/8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 7, 11 at 22:24

Thanks Sue. I have quite a few water sources in my backyard, like a pond and stream, bird baths, and a couple of other water features.

I will try to put some kind of netting over the fruits to see if I can save them. Initially I was ok with sharing the fruits with the critter, but now the critter is bent on destroying more than it can eat. I find most of it just thrown on the ground..

xman

o

Raccoons?

o
Re: Something eating my ridge gourd

I have the same problem :( the vines are super healthy and flowers intensely, but finally when the gourds have set something strips them. I managed to get one spared one and other one has tiny marks that appear to be teeth.

This vegetable has lot of medicinal qualities according to Ayurveda and plain delicious..WHAT CAN I DO? May be garlic and Habenero ground into paste mixed w/oil and pasted on the tender shoots? Help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here