Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennieboyer

Are these edible mushrooms?

jennieboyer
9 years ago

Found these growing in my raised bed today. This bed was amended with mushroom compost in the spring. So, wondering if these are an edible variety or not. I looked for a mushroom forum and couldn't find one. If there is one, just point me that way.

Comments (12)

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

I would not eat mystery mushrooms, even if some guy on a forum tells you that it is ok..

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

Do you have a nasty neighbor you'd like to make a kind friendly gesture to?

• karlsmom
    9 years ago

I would definitely not eat them. We went on a "Mushroom Foray" activity at a state park a few years back; we learned that mushrooms can be very, very difficult to identify. You could die a slow, horrible death. And nobody could do a thing about it -

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

There's a mushroom ID group on Facebook where the people seem to really know their stuff. Definitely don't eat them unless you are absolutely positive of what they are.

Rodney

Here is a link that might be useful: Mushroom ID Group

• hilnaric
    9 years ago

I wouldn't take the advice of a facebook group on something like this, either. Only that of a local experienced mushroom gatherer/mycologist. There are just too many that look too much alike for anyone to make a positive ID from a photo.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

The edibility of the mushrooms was only half of what the OP was asking for (and I made my feelings clear on this topic). The OP was also asking for an ID and/or a place/forum where an ID may be possible. I gave a link that would at least help point them in the right direction. Never said that they could ID it for certain or that the OP should just blindly trust them without additional research.

Rodney

• Mark
    9 years ago

Those look like Shaggy Parasol (Lepiota rachodes) to me. But as said above, it's hard to make a positive id from a photo.
    However, just because some people on this site are obviously paranoid of eating wild mushrooms, you don't have to be. I suggest you do some research of your own because they might be excellent eating.

-Mark

• shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)
    9 years ago

If you do decide to eat, them, follow the good advice my father gave me years ago.

Just cook and eat half of them, and save the other half for the Coroner...

• galinas
    9 years ago

I do pick wild mushrooms and I am far away from to be paranoid. But three is a rule - research your mushroom online, when you think you found it and it is eatable, search for poisonous look-a-likes. If you found any, throw what you picked away unless there is experienced mushroom picker who already picked these mushrooms in your area and can ID them in real time, not online, or there is microscopic or chemical test can be done to distinguish your mushrooms from look-a-likes (obviously, not possible for the beginner picker). Also, keep in mind to research them in your geographical area. Some mushrooms can become poisonous depending on the soil and the weather where they are growing. I ended up picking very few kinds of mushrooms, mostly boletes, this type has no deadly ones, but there are few that can give you upset stomach, so still need to know what you doing)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

If you have to ask, no...they're completely toxic has to be our answer.

• planatus
    9 years ago

I'd like to see more people interested in mushrooms, which are a very beneficial life form in the garden. The proteins in mycelium and fruiting bodies break down in to soil nitrogen. Accept that very few species are edible, and appreciate them for their forms and colors, like flowers. If I want to ID one, the first thing I do is take a spore print. Depending on species, the spore print can be white, pink green, black, etc.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    9 years ago

I also think they are a parasol mushroom of some type, genus Lepiota. Some are edible, some are unpleasant, and some are poisonous. So no, don't eat them. The forum here that has people who know mushrooms is the ferns and moss forum, I seem to recall. Cheers!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH