Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bell Pepper Bloom Drop

Posted by sharigail 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 11:55

I'm getting really frustrated with my bell peppers. Out of 6 plants, all planted in different garden areas, I've yet to get close to a bell pepper. All of the blooms drop off after they bloom and start to fruit. Now that the weather is starting to cool again, I'd like to see if I can make a go of it. Any suggestions on how to keep the blooms on?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bell Pepper Bloom Drop

It is called 'Blossom Drop' and affects all fruiting plants, not just peppers. There is a FAQ here about it (linked below) and many discussions that the search will pull up using that term.

Primarily it is a pollination issue and caused by air temps making the pollen tacky and non-viable.

From the FAQ:

It may be caused by the use of excess nitrogen fertilizers or dry windy conditions, but the most common cause is temperature extremes. Tomatoes, peppers and beans are especially picky about the air temps when it comes time to set fruit. If the night temps fall below 55 or rise above 75 or if the day temps are above 90, the pollen becomes tacky and non-viable. Pollination cannot occur. If the bloom isn't pollinated, the bloom dies and falls off.

See the FAQ for more details.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Blossom Drop FAQ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here