Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reddit_gw

Good veggie mix or no?

reddit
10 years ago

peat @68%)
perlite @25%)
compost @7%(blended with horse manure and composted)
total cost is $20/yd

is this a good mix for veggies either in pots or plastic crates? similar to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeKufjx1GZ8

Thanks

Comments (12)

• reddit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i believe the ratios are in dry weight not volume, not sure

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

In my opinion this mix would be too fine and water retentive for containers. It's similar to the various soilless mixes like Miracle Gro that are sold in big box stores and garden centers except they usually include a little lime to provide calcium and bring the pH up to overcome the acidity of peat. They also include a small amount of fertilizer as a beginning nutrient charge. In a container without soil the compost is not a reliable source of nutrients.

I've been using the 5-1-1 favored in the Container Gardening forum for my vegetables in the past four years, and it's been much better than the peat-based mixes I used to use. If you're interested in learning more about why many of us don't like peat-based mixes, follow the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils -- Water Movement and Retention

• jimtom8941
    10 years ago

I would think that the mix is a little heavy on the peat or maybe light on the perlite, but I would also increase the compost. That being said any reasonable mix of the above should work for what you are using it for. Here is a site that might help: http://www.vegetable-gardening-gnomes.com/garden_soil_recipe.html. Also, if you do a search on the web for soil mixes, you will find that there are so many of them that it will be hard to determine what is or is not the best mix to use.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

It is very similat to bagged POTTING mix (MG or others).
    Like mentioned, I would add more FINE compost to introduce it to the nature and micro bio.

... $20/cu-yard is a very good deal. Even $40 is good. a 2 1/5 cubic ft bag is sold for about $8. that is abot $85 per cu-yard.

• reddit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ohiofem, what if i do it in the raised bed like in the video (not sure if u saw it)

@jimtom8491 isnt the compost more than 7% since its dry weight, according to http://clippings.gardenweb.com/clippings/reddit

@seysonn $20 is good but a cheaper way is to get it for free from the city landfill (no sludge)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Yeah ! But city land fill might have some trash , plus it won,t have any peat moss and perlites

• reddit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

true, I dont want to risk getting trash like needles and plastic in it

10 years ago

I watched the video. I've seen several by that guy and usually find them interesting and helpful. I completely agree with the point he made several times: the most important part of your garden is the soil or potting mix. Be very careful in selecting mixes from a landfill. They could have heavy metals and herbicide residues from lawn chemicals.

In the case of the crates he used in the video, they would only act like raised beds if they were in contact with the soil. A raised bed can and should use heavier soil and compost than a container because the soil will wick away the moisture that would build up in a container that is not in contact with the ground. Growing in a container has more in common with hydroponic growing than it does with growing in the ground (or raised bed). In a container you need to provide nutrients because the soil organisms that break down compost and organic matter are not able to be sustained in a container.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

In containers, the coarser the mix, the better the root system. I'd lower the amount of peat, up the perlite, and omit the compost......adding a large percentage of conifer bark fines instead.

• reddit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

whats the difference between spent soil and spent compost? also does it matter if its not composted fully but still broken down well?

10 years ago

Maybe you should do a little research into soil before you start planting vegetables in containers. The potting mix is the most important ingredient in getting healthy vegetables. Whether you're talking about soil or compost, spent means most of the nutrients are used up and the structure has broken down.

From the Urban Dictionary:

Spent as an adjective:
    1. Used up; consumed
    2. Having come to an end; passed
    3. Depleted of energy, force, or strength; exhausted

And no, compost that is not finished composting is not a good media to use in a pot. You might get away with it mixed into garden soil, but you also might end up burning roots (especially if it includes manure) and attracting vermin.

• reddit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the spent soil is free so i might try using that to start some compost with some leaves

also i just realized this company only does delivery via bicycle, so the mix is made as light as possible without lime (ph is 5.2-5.5 according to seller)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?