Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mice in garden mulch

Posted by dirtslinger2 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 12:00

This year I used hay to mulch over weeds. It worked. However right now my tomatoes, beets, carrots and others are being gnawed by what looks like little mouse teeth.
Whatever it is is too small to set off a live-trap that would catch rabbits and likely rats.
Garden is huge. Any other ideas? I have a cat who doesnt seem to wander all the way to garden though he is catching mice closeby the house. There are many birds and don't want to accidentally injure them and poison near veggies is not happening here. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mice in garden mulch

Speak sternly to the cat!

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 15:09

Find the mice tunnels. They are often 1-2 inches below, if you have beds, they will be running parallel to the bed side. Punch a hole with your finger from above, pour rat poison, then close. This will not prevent some poisoning of the soil, but it will prevent poisoning of the birds and other above ground critters. Rat poison should be biodegradable anyway.

o

Voles are as likely as mice, and they are more likely to eat veggies. You can catch them with little mouse-size snap traps, or get the cat on task. I do speak sternly to my mouser cat if he has work to do!

o

I'd never poison rodents where a cat or other carnivore might catch and eat them, ingesting the poison.

o

Cat is old I'm afraid, and won't accept another...

Yeah it's eating ALL of my tomatoes as soon as they even hint red, and all of the beets literally have tops but no beets like in the cartoons.

o

Looks like I'm off to buy mousetraps. And cover with boxes of some sort to keep out the songbirds.
Thanks for the help.

o

• Posted by pegnj 6 central NJ (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 15:30

I have chipmunks who eat everything I have resorted to picking the tomatoes as soon as they start to turn color

o

Disappearing beets sure sounds like voles to me. Sometimes they will leave roots partially eaten with tooth marks. Don't want to gross anybody out, but if the narrow, squared-off toothprints fit, you will know your enemy.

o

I would go ahead and try using ground black pepper around all of your beds. This should help deter all rodents. Also planting herds such as oregano, sage, cayenne, and peppermint will help deter rodents. I would sprinkle black pepper and spray mint oil on the mulch and around rodent holes. Also catnip helps attract cats to your garden, they love the stuff. Just be careful because cats can tare apart a bed of catnip. Marigolds also deter a wide variety of pests, including but not limited to rodents. I line the edges of my beds with marigolds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here