Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bsntech

Another General Green Bean/Pea Question

bsntech
13 years ago

In regards to spacing - how close to most of you plant your bush beans, pole beans, and pea vines?

I haven't planted pole beans in a while - but I always plant the bush beans six inches apart in rows about 18 inches apart.

For peas, I just have one row along a fence and those are planted about four inches apart.

I've read that some folks plant peas only two inches apart - and some folks also plant green beans just four inches apart. I would think this would affect yields because of the close spacing - but maybe it affects yields on the positive side?

Comments (10)

• loribee2
    13 years ago

I plant my pole beans and peas (from seed) about 1-2" apart. I've had pole beans coming out of my ears all summer. They're still going strong. The shelling peas I only got one meal out of (for the three of us) before they started turning brown and dieing off. But I'm not sure spacing was the problem. I ended up with better yields this spring from seed than I got the prior fall when I planted from starts and spaced them farther apart.

Now you've got me wondering what can increase the yields of shelling peas. I assumed I just have to plant more and succession plant to get more meals out of them. Last fall was the first time I'd tried them, so I'm rather new with peas, unfortunately.

• jordanz
    13 years ago

I always plant my peas 1-2" apart since they don't take up that much space, and they vine 1 foot upwards anyways. I usually get about 8-10 pods out of each plant before they die off.

If you pull a mature pea plant up, the roots are very small, and don't spread the much down or outwards, so I don't think that close of spacing is a problem. I did hear that peas only like to be fertilized once, when they are 2-3" tall. After that, nothing but strictly water. Is that true?

• solidago1
    13 years ago

Count me among those who plant their beans 4 inches apart in the row. Peas 2 inches. Pole beans 3 inches.

Next year I'm planting half runners, and will run a string about 20 inches or so over the rows for them to trail on.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

My beans/peas are 6" as that coincides with my mesh size and gives me good circulation, esp now as powdery mildew coming on.

Dan

• bsntech
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good information. Think I'll try spacing peas at 2 inches apart next year; hopefully the summer will not set in as quickly next year.

Surprised that jordanz only gets 8-10 pods per plant. That is probably close to what I got this year with the hot weather that kicked in early (not including probably one pod per plant for seed saving). Last year with the Dwarf Gray Sugar peas, they were fully loaded and I barely could keep up. About 13 pounds total amongst 100 plants I believe.

Based on two-inch spacing, I should be able to get about 282 plants (about 47 feet).

Concerned about putting them that close for this reason - ease of being able to work your hands through the vines to get at the pods.

• jordanz
    13 years ago

I only got 10 pods per plant because of my location/heat. I live in the Mojave Desert and spring plantings aren't the best, because it's up to 100+ degrees in no time. I probably planted them a little late too (first of May), should've planted them 2 weeks earlier.

I just planted some 2 weeks ago, so I think this next batch will generate much more yield since the weather won't be a factor. I wish I could get that many peas!

• sandhill_farms
    13 years ago

jordanz - Planting beans right now (or two weeks ago) is fine for your area, however it's way too early to plant peas.

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• jordanz
    13 years ago

Sandhill, well I though peas took about 60 days to get pods, correct? I planted about 70 days before our first freeze date (Nov 15th). Wouldn't a freeze kill off all the peas anyways?

They seem to be doing awesome, germinating like crazy, and are already about 3-4" tall after about 2 weeks.

• beeman_gardener
    13 years ago

For many years I have used the 'English' method for peas.
    Take out a spades width of soil, plant 2 inches apart, in all directions. So in that width you can get approx 4-5 rows. This mass planting helps as the plants help to suport each other. Large crops, we get buckets full of shucking peas.

• bluebirdie
    13 years ago

It may also depend on how they're supported. For my planting, peas and pole beans are all trellised. Peas are usually 1-2 inch apart, and pole beans 2-4 inch apart on one side. I get about two pounds of snow peas per week from a few plants, about 2 pounds from three pole bean plants (7 lbs from 10 plants from the 2nd planting).

For my configuration, planting peas close together do not seem to affect the harvest much.

Jordanz, I've been growing peas for years. In my SF East Bay zone 8, a few freezes and ice/hail have never killed any peas. I guess our advantage is that we really don't get much snow here so the fall planted peas always produce until early summer for me. I also sow peas in September every year.