Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my soil kaput?

Posted by topsiebeezelbub z7 Al (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 12:21

This spring my asparagus beans did not come up...not 1 , it must have been bad seeds. So I planted late... Kentucky Wonder beans. What a disaster! They got something horrible...shriveled and distorted...maybe curlytop virus? Also got rust, as did nearby morning glories. I let the butterflies have them...then they started putting out nice new leaves and I did get a few beans, but I am worried I have introduced something terrible into my soil. Will this plague persist forever? I am ready to plant Swiss Chard, spinach, collards and kale, but am worried I have a diseased garden and will be forever doomed! What can I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my soil kaput?

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 13:20

Just plant the winter greens. They do not share diseases with beans, and they will count as a rotation.

o

I would recommend you get a soil test from your local ag center, then you will know what's going on. It only costs a few bucks. Make sure the ag agent or horticultural agent explains the results to you. They are not the easiest thing to read.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 17:42

The test will give you pH and amount of five nutrients. It will tell you nothing about disease. It is possible that your beams did not come up due to overwatering, but either way, it makes no sense to avoid planting other families of vegetables.

o

At the very least try to put a heavy mulch down (straw is awesome, not hay with seed heads unless you want to control it) to prevent soil splash. You might not want to over-head water if you do that (to prevent water sitting on leaves + lessen soil splash on the leaves).

That said, everything on your end could be fine and the issue is visiting insects coming from high-disease areas before checking out your plants.

As an aside, I'm a fan of having a soil test at least once so you know what you're actually working with in the root zone as a starting point.

o

You probably had a virus on the beans early and they outgrew it. I've seen that happen before. If you planted the asparagus beans early they may not have germinated because of cool soil. Don't hang around worrying, time's a wasting. Get that stuff in so your garden can show you what it can do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here