Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

My deck garden and huge okra plants (pics)

anney
14 years ago

Though it's getting on toward the end of the season, the plants on my deck are flourishing.

The trunk of one of my okra plants in a 5-gallon non-SW bucket:

{{gwi:39203}}

I think I'll plant dwarf okra next year! These are White Velvet okra, seeds given to me by Gonefishin' back in the day.

{{gwi:39202}}

The okra has grown to be much taller than I can reach. That cross-arm is 12 feet tall. I use a kitchen stool and pull the tops of the plants over to harvest the okra pods now. I have Black Seeded Simpson lettuce started in one of the blue shallow bins and will transplant more lettuce plants (Merlot and Jericho) into them when they germinate. There are also parsley and broccoli plants in containers out there -- it's nearly a jungle!

{{gwi:57976}}

There are two New Yorker tomato plants transplanted in August to the left of the okra, covered with blossoms. Beside them are my sturdy Jupiter bells, still producing peppers like crazy. Gotta' pick those ripe ones.

Not bad for winding-down September, even if we have had about six inches of rain in the last four days! Everything in the main garden is long-dead. Too much early rain and disease and failure to keep it weeded.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations