Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stuffradio

Overwintering Brussels Sprouts

stuffradio
12 years ago

Is it possible to do this? Just trying to see if this would be worth it. I might try it anyways with 5-10 plants if I start now. You'd never know unless you try. Besides, I have 60ish seeds :)

Comments (5)

• twc015
    12 years ago

It is possible. I usually do this unintentionally, but it always works.

The problem you'll have with this is that you will only have a small harvest window in the spring before they will flower since they are biennials. Here if I plant them now, I'll get a few sprouts in December and then they will stop growth until early February. From February on, they grow rapidly and I harvest the sprouts from mid-February to mid-March. After the middle of March, they switch to flowering and they will no longer make sprouts. Instead, where a sprout usually grows, they make a flower stalk.

Another way this works for me is if the plants stay small enough before December that they do not grow sprouts yet, these usually overwinter without flowering since they are too young to reproduce.

You may also get more growth in the winter than what I do since the temperatures here change rapidly. In December and January, we have days with highs from the 20s to the 70s. They usually have some growth when it is 50 or warmer, but overall there is very little growth. The daylength is probably another factor contributing to this.

• stuffradio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I'm going to try it out and post progress as time goes on.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Sprouts don't just overwinter, that's their peak harvest time. They are a classic winter vegetable here and are vastly impoved by a touch of frost. I imagine your climate in BC is similar to mine. In which case it's very late for sowing sprouts. They should have been planted out in May/June from a March/April sowing. They normally begin to crop from September and go on until March/April depending on the variey. But there's no harm in trying.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing sprouts

• stuffradio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes Flora, about 40 minutes away from me, there are a lot of farmers that have Brussels Sprout crops. They start them around May/June, and by September,October, etc. they are harvesting them. I'm not sure how far into the season they go, but it's definitely a late planting for me.

I just haven't grown them myself before, which is why I was asking. I'm not sure when they clear the fields from their plants for the following year.

• stuffradio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Direct sowed about 15 Brussels Sprouts yesterday. They'll probably germinate by the end of the week because of the hot temps I'm getting this week. (Close to 90 F as a high temps all week) :)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional