Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
travelingbiker

Lettuce

TravelingBiker
12 years ago

In June I planted a bunch of leaf lettuce (two different varieties) and it was growing really well, then all of the sudden it went to flowered. I guess I missed the harvest window and didn't realize it.

Bummer :( I was looking forward to eating it.

Comments (12)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

In your climate zone, I'll bet you could plant another crop now and enjoy it through the fall.

• zzackey
    12 years ago

What is your zone? Is it 9? Way too hot in June for lettuce. It needs to be planted in the cooler months of the fall or early spring.

• TravelingBiker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The lettuce did really well all summer. I planted it for morning sun, shade the rest of the day. On the hotter days it looked kinda wilty, but read that's normal. The lettuce did really well, I just missed the harvest because I didn't know what to look for/when to harvest. I'm going to start a new set of seeds hoping to get it right this time... I can grow lettuce here all year long. In the hotter months, I move them into the shade, in the cooler months, I move them out into the sun (I grow them in shallow pots).

• jonhughes
    12 years ago

Hi TravelingBiker,
    Post some pics of your set-up. for us ;-)

{{gwi:23511}}

{{gwi:23508}}

{{gwi:23548}}

{{gwi:110286}}

{{gwi:15445}}

• TravelingBiker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos of the lettuce. I will try to get photos to post the next time I plant them though. I did plant them with marigolds, and they seemed to do real nice. I'll share photos next time I plant.

• chickenfreak
    12 years ago

Just FYI for the next round: With lettuce there's nothing in particular to look for to know when to harvest. With leaf lettuce in particular, where there's no question of waiting for it to head, you can cut or pull off a few leaves any time from seedling size on. Or, of course, you can wait for the plants to get to a decent size and pull a whole plant. I generally like to pull them when they're still smaller than supermarket lettuce, because I prefer younger leaves.

• natal
    12 years ago

I'll be seeding leaf lettuce in the next couple weeks. I harvest leaves all winter into spring. Never pull the plant until it goes to seed in late spring.

• bejay9_10
    12 years ago

Hard to grow lettuce here too. I can get some with the Bibb types planted in shade, but they are still slow growing and quite tough - not like cool weather tender leaf.

One way to test for best eating is to cut the stem. If it oozes white sap, it is getting tough - and best to hurry then.

With oncoming cool weather next month - October/November - are our planting months for lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cabbages, etc. Our best veggies grow in the winter here - not far from the ocean.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

As soon as my lettuce - bibb, romaine, butter, spinach - grows a couple leaves, I start pulling them off. It's awesome to be able to walk outside and grab just enough for a couple sandwiches, and usually find a way to eat some every day. I look at it as harvesting until it goes bad vs. harvesting when it's ready.

• TravelingBiker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice. It's really helpful. I'll try hard to keep you updated on my progress. I'm getting ready to sow some seeds into the pots I just pulled that other lettuce from.

• TravelingBiker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This morning I planted seed for my new lettuce... Going to try it again...

I also planted the lettuce with green onion and marigold seed... So keep your fingers crossed for me ;)

• sweet_lemon
    12 years ago

Good luck with your lettuce.

Zone 10/sunset 24 here. I can grow lettuce some years through the summer. Other years it's too hot. This summer it worked since most of our days there was a high marine layer and cooler temps. On the few days it did get hot, I covered the lettuce with shade cloth. I grow it under wire because of the critters, so the shade cloth can just be draped over the wire. I also spray it more often with water when it's hot just to wet the leaves and keep them cool. It is easier however to grow it in spring and fall, and also winter, though it does grow much slower then.

I'll pick my lettuce whenever it's large enough and I want to make a salad. I'll either hand pick individual leaves, or if I'm in a hurry, will take a knife and cut all the leaves an inch or so above the terminal bud so the plant will keep growing new leaves. I also keep planting new seed throughout the season since I prefer younger lettuce. More work, but worth it.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?