Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltilton_gw

What's the best rabbit bait?

ltilton
9 years ago

Seeing that in my garden they're surrounded by delicacies much to their liking, what is even more attractive to them?

Comments (10)

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Love. Don't kill them. I toss carrots outside and none touch my garden.

• rayrose
    9 years ago

I have good luck with apples. So far this year, I've trapped 7 of them.

• glib
    9 years ago

melon rinds, but they catch just about every critter, including groundhogs, possums and raccoons.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

If you are baiting traps, I would suggest peanut butter which seems to work for many things (mice, gophers, etc.).

Otherwise a few things that come to mind: I would never toss out food for them, in my area, it would attract more rabbits and more other things too. I have worked on rabbit proofing my vegetable garden with fencing. I could not plant enough things to keep them out of the garden, eventually they would end up back there. Now that they are excluded from the garden, in non-drought years, a little nibble here and there in my other gardens is not that big of a deal. If the drought is severe and they are mowing down everything in site, I generally have to defer to traps. However, clover is supposed to taste especially good to them if you want to give it a try.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Never had much luck trapping rabbits, unless they just wandered into an empty trap placed next to the fence. Don't laugh, it works... they are always exploring the fence line looking for a way in, and the metal fence more or less camouflages the smell of the metal trap.

Unfortunately, it seems other animals also explore the fence line... including opossums and raccoons. If you have ever had to release an angry adult raccoon from a live trap, you'll understand why I chose to discontinue the practice - its too nondiscriminatory. Who would have thought you could catch so many different animals in an unbaited trap. It might be a good way to clear out all the animals in the neighborhood, but I don't know what I would have done if a skunk had wandered in.

My garden fence generally keeps the adult rabbits out, but sometimes a young one is able to squeeze in. I've got one now, that just runs from one end to the other when I'm in there. Even with the gate open, we can't chase it out - it likes the food too well. So far, it has done little damage... there is a flowering mallow ("Zebrina") that I grow throughout the garden to feed pollinators, and the rabbit prefers the leaves of that flower to the vegetables. It is growing & running out of leaves, though, so I'll have to either trap it or shoot it before it begins eating my chard & soybeans.

I've tried apples, apricots, and several other baits in the past, without success. Caught a couple squirrels that way, though. I'll probably just place the open trap next to the path it runs on, and chase the rabbit until it runs into it.

• ltilton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yard is full of clover and garden full of bursting melons. This rabbit is into my lettuce.

The cats get the young ones, but after a certain size, the rabbits get too much for them. I need a more predacious cat.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

If you are only talking about a few beds, I would just cover with row cover fabric. That helped me quite a bit before I got the fence up and leaks in the fence plugged. Bird netting suspended on hoops could help as well. I have also been know to protect certain things with scraps of chicken wire, either bent over the top or by making a small cage with the wire and bamboo stakes.

We have a lot of predators in this area but they never get all of the bunnies so exclusion is generally the easiest method, either by fence, covering, etc.

• ltilton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I do have the lettuce covered now.

• renais1
    9 years ago

Apple and peanut butter has worked some. Peanuts or alfalfa pellets (the horse ones that are made with molasses) are also worth trying if you have some around. I have not found netting to work well, even in relatively small areas; the rabbits are inclined to cause even more damage by digging to get into areas they are interested in. Even though you will not get rid of all the rabbits, you can make a big dent by trapping for a few weeks; the effort is worth it.
    Renais

• ltilton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Stick apple slices into the peanutbutter jar?

I have one row where I transplanted lettuce after the spinach had drowned. I noticed a stray surviving spinach plant had been nipped off at the base today. There's also been gnawing on the zukes.