Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant in fall zone 8

Posted by alan8 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 07 at 14:13

Give me some additional ideas on what to plant for fall. I've planted Brocolli, Snap Beans, Pink Eye Purple Hull Peas, Tomatoes and Lettuce.
What about Strawberries? Is now the time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant in fall zone 8

I'd guess no on the strawberries. Still likely too warm because it is still too warm here in 6-7.

But leafy greens, garlic, turnips, collard greens, brussel sprouts, cabbage are all additional possibilities.

Dave

o

digdirt,
Maybe you can help me. I've never planted strawberry in the fall, just spring. Do they grow during the winter? Whey do you plant them in the fall? What steps should I take to do it right? Thanks in advance.

o

Alan, I'm not sure what zone 8 you're in, but unless you're growing in a greenhouse, tomato season is almost over here in USDA zone 8ish No CA.
The master gardener who's fall class I attended said a last try at beets, carrots, chard, snow peas, garlic for spring and alot of the greens I haven't tried.
News to me was that after the big broccoli head on top, the plant puts out side shoots the rest of the winter. I pulled mine up thinking they were done!
I put in brussel sprouts at the wrong time(last spring). The nursery had them! I didn't know! They've made it through the summer with not alot of damage and I see the little buds starting. The MG, who grows for a resteraunt, has given up on BS due to aphids.
Anyway, you might want to check with your county extention office for your specific county, what to plant.
HTH Nancy

o

ninjabut, I'm in south Ala. and the county ext. office book says to plant tomatoes in July-Aug. I planted mine in mid Aug. and they are already blooming. In south Ala. we don't usually have much of a winter. Very seldom a freeze and frost is always late. I noticed when I was visiting Calif. that the nights there are much colder than they are here, even in the summer.
I once planted BS too and had more bugs than I've ever seen. Bugs love BS more than any thing I have EVER grown.
Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here