Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

What will you grow again next year?

booberry85
15 years ago

I had some great successes this year (lets focus on the successes!) I grew chard this year, a few different kinds. Last year I had tried to grow it and a critter got to it before I did. However, this year I've been very happy with it. It's on the list for next year!

I also grew a number of different bean varieties that were new to me. I fell in love with Cherokee Trail of Tears (pole), Kinghorn Wax (yellow, bush. They were the cheap seeds too!), and Purple Queen (bush). All were very productive.

I also found out I love black tomatoes! All different kinds of black tomatoes. I grew Black, Black Sea Man, Black Pear, Black Plum and Black Cherry. All were a big hit!

I found a great new hot pepper thanks to Fiedlermeister (on the Hot Pepper forum). Kalocsai-V2 is a tapered Hungarian pepper that ripens to red. It starts off with a fruit taste and then it hits you with the spicy. Great Peppper! It's my over-all favorite now.

So what were your successes? What will you grow again?

Comments (30)

• cabrita
    15 years ago

Nantes carrots. Gold beets. Purple pole beans, Kentucky wonder bush and pole beans. Arugula. Baby bok choi. I did Gai lan, bugs like it too much. Might limit the Kale to lacinato (nero di Toscana) since it seems more pest resistance than the collards or the red russian kale.

What else? blue corn. Butternut squash. Straight neck yellow zucchini.

Armenian cucumbers. Tried also lemon cukes, not as impressed.

Rosa bianca eggplant.

A lot more sweet peppers! We grew a lot of hot peppers and forgot the sweets.

More artichokes. Amaranth. Other types of corn.

Tomatoes. Bad year, but well, we do have enough tomatoes to eat. Not enough to can or give away, though. Lesson I learned, be more discriminating! I had a lot of tomato volunteers, transplanted them but most were disappointing. Heirlooms and some favorite hybrid varieties next year, only that, get rid of volunteers.

• jimster
    15 years ago

I'll try to play by the rules and first list varieties I actually grew this year, not some previous year, and which I fully intend to grow next year.

Nevada Lettuce - An outstanding lettuce. Crunchy. Holds in the garden without bolting for weeks.

French Breakfast Radish - Beautiful and tasty. Can take a bit of warm weather.

Old Brooks Tomato - Medium, round, red, blemish free, lots of flavor.

Aunt Gerties Gold Tomato - Large, golden, loaded with flavor.

Mei Qing Choi (bok choi) - Flavorful, small to medium, slow to bolt.

Daebu Summer Radish (daikon) - Beautiful, flawless, medium size.

Insuks Wang Kong Runner Bean - Abundance of brilliant scarlet flowers. Edible pods and seeds. Huge, glossy, black speckled seeds.

Eastham Turnip - A local variety. Excellent. Can grow large.

Green Wave Mustard - Good flavor. Somewhat slow to bolt.

California Giant Zinnias - Always a must in the veggie garden. Unbelievable range of colors. Easy to grow.

The following deserve to be listed. I would grow them again next year if not for the fact that I want to trial other varieties and have limited space.

Fortex Pole Bean - A classic French fillet bean. Long narrow pods. Excellent flavor. Very productive.

Tarbais Pole Bean - For dried beans. Makes great cassoulet (French style baked beans).

Pinkeye Purple Hull cowpea - Attractive, productive, great tasting.

I will be bringing back some varieties I liked from previous years which I didn't grow this year. Jalapeno Chilies, Yellow Crookneck Summer Squash, Florence Fennel.

Jim

• macky77
    15 years ago

I resolve to never again plant an entire 40-foot row of flat-leaf parsley without first finding another two dozen people who will take the bushes that result off my hands.

From now on, I will only plant corn as transplants because this year I learned that that is the only way I can get them to mature before pests or frost take over. This also eliminates the worries about choosing a variety with cold soil tolerance in the seed.

Despite yellow beans' reputation of having flavour inferior to green beans, I will forever plant at least one row of Gold Mine bush beans because they're just plain beautiful and bountiful.

Racer pumpkins. The name says it all. I've never had a pumpkin not only ripen but cure on the vine before frost, never mind at the end of AUGUST!

My neighbour has labeled me the 'tomato goddess' this summer. My toms have never done so well. I hope to defend the title next year, but hopefully with short-season heirlooms instead. This year Sunstart was too sweet for my taste, but I would grow the Applause again.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to mention. I had a banner year for lettuce. I grew Buttercrunch (cheap seeds), Parris Island Cos (cheap seeds), Red Sails, Chadwick's Rodan Looseleaf, and Merveille des Quatre Saisons. Never have I had such luck with lettuce.

For summer squashes, I had a great time with Zephyr squash. A hybrid mix between a zucchini and a summer squash. It was very pretty and productive.

• rjinga
    15 years ago

I grew white scalloped squash (like a white patty pan) this year and they were very productive and yummy. I know MUCH more know about how to protect them better from the SVB which ultimately ended their lives early.

I grew a bunch more okra this year than last (still not QUITE enough) but next year I'll plant even more.

I also grew a few varieties of chard that was quite nice and one of my favorites to grow.

I found some really cool striped beets (some italian variety, they look like a bulls eye cant wait to see how they are) and some golden zuchinni both that are just now coming up, so I'll reserve the right to update :)

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes! Ok I will also grow the burgundy bush beans...great harvest and cool to boot. Peppers, carrots (my first time with much success!), sugar baby watermelon, various herbs, cucumbers (limited success but planted in bad soil). I will have to try the Jack Be Little pumpkins again for the gkids...again limited success with bad soil. Did I also mention tomatoes???

• bumble_doodle
    15 years ago

Will grow again:
    potatoes in half-barrels (no big yields, but fun)
    tomatoes
    jalapeno peppers
    hot cherry peppers
    LOTS more sweet peppers
    eightball zucchini
    maybe a couple of regular cukes - didn't have much luck with the pickle cukes this year
    lettuce
    herbs: basil and dill

Will be adding:
    green beans
    crook neck
    one ball squash
    pattypan

• mrswaz
    15 years ago

Definitely rainbow chard. I'd never grown it before, let alone tried it, and it's a clear favorite for me.

For tomatoes, my three top varieties this year are Green Zebra, Dr. Wyche's Yellow, and German Red Strawberry- all heirlooms. I will grow those three again plus a few new varieties for next year.

Oh, and Poona Kheera cucumbers. Love them! Although I think I need to plant to varieties to change it up, the last bunches of cucumbers went bad because I was just sick of them. A variety to choose from would be nice.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    15 years ago

What to plant, Well it is more of an Idea.

My hoop building, for tomatoes, is growing next year. I had a 12 by 20. Next year it will be at least 12 by 45, if not two of them I grew over 700 pound off of 35 plants. I sold every single one of them. I hope next year will be as good.

I will grow Armenian Cucs, more Okra, Yellow Watermelons, Canteloupe, Diva Cucs, and White wonder Cucs.

Not again, Poona Kheera, They tasted good, but I was throwing so many out because they weren't selling.

Probably not as many Potatoes. Planting 125 pounds of seed was high, but I have dug 1288 pounds and I still have 3 rows left to dig! I have sold tons of them, but I still have 300 pounds in the basement.

Good Questions

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

I'll definitely grow tomatoes, garlic, potatoes, and zucchini again. They did well this year. Since my Nutribud broccoli not only survived the heat wave but produced a head, I'm going to grow more of that. I'm going to try the watermelon and cantaloupe again, but next time they get they're own patch. The zucchini kind of swamped them this year. I'm also going to grow more snow peas. I'll also give the spinach, carrots, and lettuce another try, but this time in a raised bed -- I'm thinking along with the peas.

The tomatoes that did the best were Sausage, Roma, and Viva Italia. The others I'll think about.

• fritz_monroe
    15 years ago

This was my first year with a garden, and I had to do containers. But I had a lot of successes. My only real failure was the SVB got to my zucchini plants.

But since we are concentrating on successes...

We loved the Fordhook lima beans. We only had 7 plants, but they were fantastic. We will do MANY more plants next year.

We also had great success with peppers. We had a great harvest of Keystone resistent giant bell peppers. Also lots of jalapeno peppers. That single tabasco plant produced far more peppers than I thought it would. Finally the cayenne peppers did fantastic, I got the seeds from Jeannie here on the forums.

Of course we will grow tomatoes, but not sure of the variety since we weren't entirely happy with the varieties we grew this year.

We will also do several varieties of lettuce, parsley and other various herbs.

• pam225
    15 years ago

Our favorite tomato this year by far (and...apparently the favorite of the two chipmunks that live under my neighbor's porch!) are Black Krim...they are very sweet and we will definitely grow them again. Also will grow Brandywine. Also love the jubilee cherries - they are like candy (they never make it into the house, whoever is harvesting just picks them and eats them)

Peppers - Lilac (they look cool), and yellow bells. Hots would have to be hungarian wax and long hots (I have no idea what these seeds are really "called" but I got the seeds from a friend...they are awesome!)

Zucchini (I think the variety is something called absolute or aerostotale or something like that...very tolerant and high producer)

Bush Beans - but I'd have more than 5 plants and stagger them (that was the ultimate goal this year, but I never planted the 2nd round of seeds)

Beets - Detroit Reds (had the yellow ones...low producers)

Lettuce - I did some sort of bib lettuce and it did amazing (sorry...I don't know the name).

Spinach - (again, don't know the name from the spring since the packet is long gone...I would just plant more seeds next year)

Pam
    Havertown, PA

• aulani
    15 years ago

I had many successes this year too. However, I will plant no broccoli. Takes up too much room and poor results.

Purple Cherokee Tomatoes, many plants. Love this so much.
    More okra, Clemson spineless. Burgundy did poorly.
    Kentucky Wonder Beans
    Romaine lettuce -- this was my first year to try.
    Burpless cukes
    Amish paste tomatoes
    Bok choi
    Much more eggplant -- Ichiban
    and of course, zucchini

Not planting any striped tomatoes. They did so poorly.

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

This is only my 2nd year for a veggie garden, and it's a very small one, but I love to try new things, so something has to really standout, to be brought back again!

Things returning next year:
    Tomato 'Cherokee Purple' (Out of 8 different tomatoes this year)

Peas, Sugar Snaps - the kids and I loved them!

Lettuce - Jericho, New Red Fire

Carrots - Rainbow Mix - some were 10" long, nice and fat, and the colors amused the kids

Peppers - King of the North, Revolution - both produced HUGE grocery store sized bells, which is hard to do here!

Basil - Sweet, and plenty of it. You just can't have too much!

Cucumbers - Spacemaster - it has mildew issues by this point in the season, but produces tons of bitter free slicers.

Canteloupes - I tried growing 3 different kinds this year, and even though the ones on the vines are too small to ripen before the first frost here, I will try them again, since I should have planted them out much earlier.

Aulani, I'm with you on the broccoli. I tried it this year, and it was a space hog. If I ever live where I have enough space for a large garden, I'll try it again.

Bonnie

• engk916
    15 years ago

tomatoes - bloody butcher and brandywine
    basil
    squash - butternut
    garlic - german extra hardy (actually this fall)
    scallions
    peas
    broccoli
    brussels sprouts

• barkeater
    15 years ago

Pam, long hots are sold as Hot Portugal in the seed catalogs.

• bella_trix
    15 years ago

I had a great year, despite my battle with the woodchucks. I tried a bunch of new vegetables and many, many new varieties. These were some of my favorites:

Popcorn - "Cochita Pueblo" from Sandhill Preservation Center. Absolutely beautiful, a variety that is 600-700 years old. It worked great intercropping with beans. It is said to have a nutty taste, but I haven't popped it yet.

{{gwi:40740}}

Dried Bean - "Afrikanische Rote" from Seed Savers Exchange (from Africa). This bean grew right up the corn, where other pole varieties had trouble. I love the unique square shape.

{{gwi:111210}}

Tomatoes  "Speckled Roman" from SSE. This is the prettiest tomato I've seen, plus it was sweet and delicious, produced well, was great for canning and outlasted the v. wilt. I'll also be growing more of my favorites next year: Amish Paste, Opalka, Cherokee Purple and a new (for me) black variety, Japanese Trifele Black.

{{gwi:111212}}

Zucchini - "Gialla Nostrala" from SSE: This is a vining variety that grew like mad up the trellis. I love it - the taste is great, it was a high producer and seems to have some resistance to squash vine borers. It made it through the SVB attack and kept producing. Plus, it made it through the powdery mildew wipeout, too.

Kohlrabi  "Early Purple Vienna" from Sandhill: This was my first time growing and eating kohlrabi. IÂm a convert. Delicious! This variety was beautiful and grew super quickly.

{{gwi:111214}}

Tomatillo - "Green" from Sandhill: Again, my first time growing and eating tomatillos. I will definitely be doing it again. I liked this variety best.

Green Beans  "Uncle SteveÂs Italian Pole" from Sandhill. I grew this last year for the first time and my garden will never be without it. IMO, they are the best tasting green beans (and pretty, as an extra). Unfortunately, the woodchucks also loved them and decimated four plantings. I didnÂt get many this year.

{{gwi:94497}}

Other favorites: Onion  Alisa Craig, Broccoli  De Cico and Nutribud, Zucchini  Costata Romanesco , Pepper  Peach Habanero, Sweet Pepper  Wisconsin Lakes, Kale  Cavolo Nero

Bellatrix

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bellatrix, those pictures look like they came out of a magazine - just beautiful!

• golfer_2008
    15 years ago

I had bumper crops of Silver Queen, okra. potatoes and tomatoes and will plant again in 09.

I will try White Scalloped squash but SVB are terrible here. ringa.. Did you use row covers to control? If so, what type..

Also looking for a wilt resistant cuc to try. Suggestions will be appreciated.

Larry

• weednwait
    15 years ago

Things I planted this year which will be making a return appearance:

Oregon Sugar Snap peas
    Basil
    Small Wonder spaghetti squash
    Eightball zucchini
    Stump of the World tomato
    Super Marzanno tomato

Things not making a return appearance:

Russian Banana potatoes -- not much flavor, could be the soil
    Yellow Pear tomatoes -- have had them forever, want to try something else
    Serrano peppers -- did great, we have enough dried to last five or six years!
    Amber cup squash -- just didn't do well in my garden

Am already planning next year and still harvesting tomatoes, squash and peppers. How optimistic is that?

• llaz
    15 years ago

This has been a somewhat challenging growing season here, but here are some of my winners that will be back next year:

Lettuce : Reine des Glaces - beautiful big heads, sweet, pretty good heat tolerance. Oscarde - reliable red-tinged cutting lettuce. Sanguine - beautiful burgundy romaine type. Chinese Sword Lettuce - very, very sweet and unusual, slow to bolt, grows back quickly when cut.

Cucumbers : Suyo Long - first time for this outstanding variety that will have a permanent spot in my garden. These are long, ridged, sweet and crisp with very few seeds and were the most resistant to foliage problems. They're still pumping out fruit while most of the other are done. My usual favorites that I always grow and will be coming back are Alibi. Diva and Tasty Jade.

Beans : Haricot Vert Autan - these are very productive, stay thin and tender even if overlooked. I planted ten varieties of shell beans, but I'm just starting to harvest them, so the final word is not in yet. So far, Comtesse de Chambord - these are very small and white. Kind of labor intensive to shell because they are so small, but worth the effort for the flavor, Alubias Tolosanas (black) - these are the legendary beans of the Basque area in Spain. The plants are incredibly vigorous having completely overtaken a 20' x 8' trellis and totally loaded with pods. These beans are really delicious. Tarbais - the classic French white bean that I wouldn't want to be without.

Peppers: Aside from the usual jalapenos and sweet bell peppers that I always grow, new additions are - New Mexico6 - the tastiest, especially when red, medium hot chile I've ever grown and Czech Black - a jalapeno-type, medium hot that is a most amazing deep purple when "green" and eventually turn red.

Tomatoes: Paul Robeson, Green Zebra, Woodle Orange, Rose de Berne and these two that I grew for the first time this year, Neve's Azorean and Dr. Carolyn Pink.

French gray shallots.

Hardneck garlic: I've learned to use these as at all stages, the first greens in place of scallions, the green garlic before the bulbs form, the scapes and new garlic before they're cured.

Treviso Radicchio and Red Dandelion Chicory. These come back in the spring and are a great addition to salads when young and vigorous cut-and-come-again'ers.

Ichiban eggplant.

Lou
    Prides Crossing, MA

• bella_trix
    15 years ago

Thanks, Booberry! I think I have a magic basket. Every picture I take of vegetables in that basket looks good. Plus, the kohlrabi is so photogenic :).

Bellatrix

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    15 years ago

Like Llaz, I had a challenging year; a few of my perennial favorites had to take a year off, to be replaced by shorter season alternatives. I'll list them all anyway.

Snap beans: "Fortex". I also grow at least one other pole snap, including: "Emerite", "Pole 191" (a.k.a. white-seeded Kentucky Wonder), "Rattlesnake", or "Garafal Oro".

Shell beans: "Ma Williams" (early pole) and/or "Bird Egg #3" (late pole) and/or "PI 507984" (very early bush). At least one of these, depending upon the weather. "PI 507984" proved itself this year, in a very short season.

Dry beans: "Brita's Foot Long" or "Soissons Vert" (high yield, outstanding flavor)

Sweet corn: "Miracle" hybrid (highly disease resistant, very large ears w/tight tip cover, great flavor)

Summer squash: "Zucchetta Rampicante" (borer & disease resistant, excellent frozen quality)

Eggplant: "Casper" and "Diamond" (cold & Verticillium resistant, high-yielding)

Okra: "Pentagreen" (cold & Verticillium resistant, the only okra I can grow reliably this far North). Proved itself this year, with a short, cool Summer.

Swiss chard: "Special Large White Ribbed" (flat leaves, easy to clean, very wide stalks)

Other greens: Water spinach, Egyptian spinach, Moringa oleifera (tree grown as annual, high-protein leaves)

Cucumber: "WI 5207" (highly disease resistant, parthenocarpic, good climber, great flavor)

Tomatoes: "Sojourner South American" (very large red oxheart, prolific), "Elfin" (OP grape tomato, extremely prolific)

Peppers: "Greygo" (very large cheese type, sweet, tender skin), "Beaver Dam" (large pointed Hungarian type, very early, medium hot), "Pizza" (highly prolific, gourmet green peppers just before frost, outstanding keeper)

Soybeans: "Sapporo Midori" (edamame, early, very large seed)

Pea: "Purple Podded Parsley" (table pea, purple pods)

Watermelon: "Blacktail Mountain" (very early, high Brix, good keeper)

Garlic: 10 varieties (mostly hardneck), plus Elephant Garlic & Pearl Onions (which are really bulbing leeks)

Since I am a seed saver, many other vegetables are grown in a rotation... I never have the same garden twice. But I do grow varieties each year from the categories below:

- one adzuki bean
    - one mung bean
    - Runner beans: 2
    - Limas: 2
    - Yardlongs: 3-4 (will include the bush yardlong grown this year)
    - Cowpeas: 2-3
    - one C. maxima squash (buttercup, hubbard, banana, kabocha)
    - one C. pepo squash (acorn, naked-seeded pumpkin, spaghetti)
    - one hot pepper for drying
    - Tomatoes: one banana-type paste, 1-4 red paste types, one non-red paste, one potato-leaf, one non-red slicer
    - one basil
    - soybeans: 3-4 additional edamame

In addition, there will be many other trials each year for pole beans, soybeans, peas, tomatoes, and peppers.

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    15 years ago

I think our favorite thing that we grow would be our Gotta Have It Sweet Corn from Gurneys. I have read quite a few bad reviews about it, but this is the second year that we have had good luck growing it. The only problem we had was with the first crop that we planted this year. I believe that we planted it too deep and only about half of it came up.

Some of our other top favorites are:

Blue Lake Green Pole Bean

Mr. Stripey Heirloom Tomatoes (This is another one I have read bad things about but they worked good for us)

Sweet Basil

Eggplant Burpee's Mix (We really like these)

Mammoth Table Queen Royal Acorn Squash (These definitely worked a lot better for us then Table Ace.)

Waltham Butternut Squash

Burpee's Butterbush (Fruits were a lot smaller than Waltham but so cute, perfect side dish to a meal instead of a meal itself like Waltham. We do love both kinds though.)

Prizewinner Hybrid Pumpkin (Last year we got a 120lb. pumpkin, not such good luck this year, we had a bad year for pumpkins.)

Gurneys Giant Magic Pumpkin (Even though we had a real bad year for pumpkins these did pretty well, that must mean they are good pumpkins, seemed like the powdery mildew didn't affect them as badly as everything else.)

Triple Treat Pumpkin (Didn't grow this one this year, but tried a different variety and liked these better.)

I grew a few types of peas that I really liked but I am not sure of the names because I got all mixed up with which ones I planted were and which ones I liked best. Don't ask me how I will know which ones to grow for next year.

Others that we will grow again next year are:

Improved Golden Wax Bush Bean
    Hybrid Gurneys Pride Zuchinni
    Parks All Season Burpless Cucumber
    Perfected Detroit Beets
    Tendersweet Carrots
    Ithaca Head Lettuce
    Cherry Belle Radishes
    Scallions (White and Red)
    Yukon Gold Potatoes
    Spinach Medania
    Garlic

Things we plan to grow for the first time next year:

Purple Beans (not sure what kind yet)
    Cherokee Purple Heirloom Tomatoes
    Lemon Basil
    Cinnamon Basil
    A couple more kinds of eggplant
    Zephyr Yellow Squash
    Forono Beets
    Brussels Sprouts
    French Breakfast Radishes
    Bright Lights Swiss Chard
    Parsley
    Usually I grow pepper mixes but since I wanted to grow more peppers I have decided to grow a type of each color next year

Things I will not be growing again next year:

Scarlet Nantes Carrots (Not as good as Tendersweet)
    Table Ace Acorn Squash
    Small Sweet Sugar Pie Pumpkin
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower

We have also decided to try watermelons and cantaloupe again next year since I think we have taken care of our flooding problem this year. That way our fruits won't rot when it floods.

Wow! I think that is everything.

• sprouts_honor
    15 years ago

Ordered Orangesicle sweet peppers from Park seed and they're as yummy as their name. About 2" wide and 6" long, thick walled and great for stuffing. I also roasted, chopped and served them on wraps. Very productive. I have six plants and so many peppers I give them away. HD loves them stuffed with chorizo sausage and cream cheese, breaded then deep fried.

• mogzilla
    15 years ago

Squash -- definately tonda scuro di piacenza (like eight ball). Great name (my 3-yr-old loved saying it) and we had a whole summer's worth before the SVB got them.

Cucumbers -- Boothby's blonde. I have never had good luck with cucs, but these were outstanding and seemed to scoff at the hordes of cucumber beetles that descend on the garden every year.

Peas -- sugarsnaps. Yum. Also Little Marvel bush peas. I didn't much care for the taste, but the purple/pink flowers were stunning.

Beans -- Dragon's tongue. A really flavorful cream/purplr striped pod. Got my kids to eat beans (even raw straight from the garden) and I almost couldn't keep up with picking them.

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

Out of 6 different tomatoes the sunburst is the only one that really flourished and they are very sweet. I'll be harvesting seeds from it. I plan on trying several new varieties.

I won't be planting onions again. Too much space, too much time. They're still in the ground. I can get vidalias most of the year at the market so I'll skip planting my own.

No pickling cukes

I'll try a purple pole bean, the bush beans only got one picking.

Corn, but a different variety than last year. I'll go w/ a SE.

• dancinglemons
    15 years ago

Beans: Chinese Red Noodle Long Bean, Liana Long Bean
    Tomato: Dr. Wyche Yellow, San Marzano Redorta F1, Green Zebra
    Eggplant: Rosa Bianca -- really sweet with no bitterness
    Cucumber: Mexican Sour Gherkin
    Potato: Bintje
    Okra: Cowhorn, FifeCreek Cowhorn, Burmese, Louisiana Green Velvet

DL

• jll0306
    15 years ago

I am growing 40 types of edibles and herbs some crops and varieties do much better here than others.

BEETS. Beets grow easily here, and we eat both the root and the greens. I'm currently trialing some of the bullseye beets from GrowItalian

CUKES: I have a Pearl, a Yellow, and a Spacemaster Bush I started from seed. The Yellow does not want to be here.

After reading about it here, I picked up an Armenian Cuke (aka: snake melon!) at HD this week. A piece of it broke off. I stuck it in a pot two days ago and it already looks like it might take. It wants to be here. That automatically makes it my new most favorite plant.

ZUKES: Zucchini Romanesco was a late season replacement for the poorly performing Black Beauties. It is doing well in a self watering container. It is very tasty, looks to be very productive, and with its flat stem, is not a SVB target.

SUMMER SQUASH: Early "Prolific" Straigtneck didn't take off the way I wanted. The Yellow crookneck I put in the same place has been a marginal producer, but now that the heat has broken, I'm expecting that to pick up.

GARLIC RADISHES AND MUSTARD. lots as pest prevention.

PEPPERS OKRA. PEAS.Still searching for the perfect varieties. I grew out a seed crop of California Black-eyed peas from the grocery store in a spot where I wanted some soil building and I'll be planting a food crop from them next year. I have hopes that this next generation will be well adpated.

LETTUCE. I have tons of lettuce seeds from a thrift shop purchase of someone's coffee can full of various seed packets. I'll never run out of Black Seeded Simpson in this lifetime and I'm sure I'll like the Paris Cos Romaine, if I can get to it before the squirrels do. Same thing with "Burpees Little Gem"

EGGPLANT.Definitely Rosa Bianca. I have a couple of container plants that I started from seed so far I've harvested a couple of eggplants from each one, and expect to get at least two more. Maybe more, if I can extend their season.

TOMATOES:
    SuperSioux Dakota was a summer star in a big pot under the mesqute tree.

A Roma that I propagated with seed from some random kitchen tomato.

A Bush Hybrid from Park Seeds. These large tomatoes seem to be crack resistant.

It's too soon to say which of the winter crops are going to be allstars, but the Broccoli Calabrese were started from seed on August 15 and they are now about 7 (floppy) inches tall. I started Brussel Sprouts at the same time and they melted.

Jan

• hiddenjungle
    15 years ago

HI everyone, its a little late but...
    This was the first time i planted a medium-large scale garden, it included...

tomatos, roma, beefsteak, lg cherry, cherry.. i really didnt have any success with them believe it or not.

peppers, sweet banana, green bell, red habanero, cayenne, jalapeno, i did separate the hot peppers i didnt get habaneros, because i had to pot those and they are just getting peppers, dont think theyl make it, i did get some jalapenos, and a ton of sweet banana, and i have a few green bells.

radish- had no luck with them either, all went into flowering stage, only got couple
    Spinach- great harvest

watermelon/cantaloupe- the cantaloupes didnt form, but i have few watermelons that are close.

cucumbers, got none

romano beans- great harvest

Squash, got few zucchinis a ton of summer squash and a couple acorn

I guess it was a pretty good year for the first time it was planted, its about 20'x 18', and plan to cover it with manure around oct-nov. i was surprised most of the easy things like tomatoes didnt grow very well.

Next year i think ill plant...
    Peppers, green bell, sweet banana, habanero, jalapeno

tomatoes, lg cherry, roma

Squash, zuchhini, summer, butternut, acorn

Others, watermelon, cantaloupe, corn, spinach, cabbage, lettuce, eggplant, beans, oriental vegatables, cucumbers

herbs, chives, basil, rosemary, dill, cilantro, sage

Of course the garden will be bigger and probably in 2 separate sections at least 20' x 18' each, i dont know i might even plant some more