Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zzackey

Chicago Deli poster

zzackey
9 years ago

Whatever happened to Chicago Deli? He posted often on here. He was so creative and so enthused. Then he just disappeared.

Comments (17)

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

Sometimes I worry about people. Like bill1me, who was such a helpful poster, but was having some health problems, and then disappeared.

And what about the guy who posted a lot, and then said he was going out wandering in a blizzard, like he enjoyed doing at great risk, and never posted again?!?

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

I've been a member here since 2010 and was a lurker for several years before that. So over the years I have seen many interesting people that have come and gone. They just disappear and are never heard from again.

Rodney

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's true. I've seen it happen with others too.

• soilent_green
    9 years ago

"And what about the guy who posted a lot, and then said he was going out wandering in a blizzard, like he enjoyed doing at great risk, and never posted again?!?" - That was me. I am still alive and kicking, still living in Minnesnowta. And once again another wonderful, glorious blizzard season is fast approaching! Yay! /major sarc

BTW we had a particularly strong ground blizzard last winter - winds sustained in the 50s mph and gusting into the low 60s mph. The house shook, and the windows and plates rattled. Visibility was less than 50 feet, and mid-day looked like twilight. I could not see any sign of the barn from the house. So much dirt was scoured up from the fields that the blowing snow was noticeably gray in color. I felt like a coward, but I did not go for a walkabout in that one. Self preservation instincts overrode my dwindling pockets of courage. Instead I fired up the emergency generator to see if everything was working properly. A power outage at that time would have been a very serious issue. Do not trust the creaky infrastructure.

One night the thermometer read -30 degrees F. Nothing more needs to be said about that. The next day, out of curiosity (and because the car did not start), I spent time on the web looking into Florida properties. One must have options. ;-)

I am expecting this winter to be worse than last winter - more, longer cold stretches with more snow and ground blizzards. I believe we are trending back into stronger winters like I remember experiencing back in the 1970s. Everything in nature is cyclical.

As for Chicago Deli, people drop off because they get busy with life. I would not assume the worst until proven otherwise.

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

Last winter was pretty brutal here too. I use an unheated greenhouse for starting all my seedlings (with heat mats and tents). In late Feb and early March, I was trying to get all my seeding done during the afternoon when temperatures inside the greenhouse were a few degrees above freezing. After sunset, it would quickly plummet to 0 F and finally -30 the next morning. Inside.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I figured he got busy with his deli. Some place I wish I could go visit. He used fresh herbs from his garden there and wanted to grow veggies to use there too. I prefer Florida/Georgia compared to snow and blizzards. I lived thru enough of that when I lived in Pennsylvania. I enjoyed it as a child, but driving on the interstate with cars going sideways next to me was not fun. We are not without bad weather here. We boarded up the house and stayed for 3 hurricanes that happened within 6 months of each other. Thank God we only lost shingles on the house and the garage. It was terrifying to say the least. 12 hours stuck inside each time wondering if we were going to survive.

• ltilton
    9 years ago

Chicago Deli was a great carpenter. I liked to see all the beds and trellises he made.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I enjoyed seeing everything he made.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    9 years ago

He disappeared last year in July. Not sure when he returned. There was a "Chicago Deli - Where are you?" thread up back then. We were pointed to an e-mail address on his member page, but there is no e-mail address there anymore.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess he had enough and needed to drop out! Maybe he'll come back some day...

• catherinet
    9 years ago

Glad to hear you weren't eaten by the last blizzard you went out in, Soilent_green! :)

• ltilton
    9 years ago

Sometimes a person can venture into a new forum and get a hostile, rude response from the territorial regulars. This can discourage participation across the board.

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

So glad the blizzard did not eat you, Tom! Where would your sweet tomato plant be without you? :)

I had gone back to try to find the poster of that and hadn't found the name -- must have been my faulty searching abilities.

And I am still skiing alone to the ends of the traveled trails and then way beyond, to purposely get lost and find my way back.
    But now I'm bringing a cell phone :)
    (and they've been putting up cell towers in WV, so there is even a chance of having service.)

Bring on the cold winter, I say. Maybe it can finish off the dwindling populations of squash bugs, imported cabbage worms, SVB, and harlequin bugs.

Wow, TWO Chicago-Deli-where-are-you threads? Someone should find him just to tell him how well loved he is.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

ltilton, so true. You couldn't pay me to go back to Organic Gardening magazine's forum. It was bizarre, the whole backbiting attack thing. One time I asked a question and was told to look it up on the internet. Huh??? And watch out if you dared say anything in defense of wildlife. A few posters took delight in describing in detail how they first tormented and then killed. The other well known tomato forum was exactly the same.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't go there for the same reasons. If I wanted to google it I would! I prefer the voices of experience. We all make mistakes and yes I even ask stupid questions, But this is how I learn and it's alot more fun this way. :-)

• ltilton
    9 years ago

Lot of very knowledgeable people here who'll answer questions. But also some of the other kind, unfortunately

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Yes. So far, so good here.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner