Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broccoli as a perennial

Posted by eldarwen 10b or 23/24 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 12, 08 at 15:54

So I know a broccoli can be a perennial here in coastal southern California, meaning that it will survive, but is it a good idea? Will it continue producing from year to year? And if so, how does one "prune" it?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broccoli as a perennial

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 12, 08 at 20:00

I tried in one year, more out of laziness than anything else, but it got very bitter florets. It also hated July and August. I could see trying it as an offbeat perennial flower, but not as a veggie.

o

Brocolli bolts in hot weather and from there it's disgusting (all pithy and nasty). However, if it doesn't start making parts that you want to eat until AFTER the hot weather and you have the right kind, which in my case is Di Cicco, you keep harvesting until the hot weather returns or the plant gets sloppy or out-of-control. Di Cicco makes a head you can harvest by cutting if off with a knife leaving the outer leaves, but then it keeps making more side headlettes. Depending on how much sun it has which is partly determined by time of year in my situation especially, the headlettes can get too long and that will tend to pull the plant over. Because I'm growing it on a slope I make "crutches" for the broccoli stems so they don't pull themselves out of the ground when top-heavy. And no, they don't taste nasty. Any of that stuff that goes through hot weather I suspect gets nasty. I raised some awful brussels sprouts because I didn't realize you were supposed to top them to get the sprouts to mature, so the things kept growing taller and taller and they looked like treeferns and when I finally found out I was supposed to harvest them they'd already been through a summer and were gross tasting. Yech. Okay maybe I just figured out what would make them worth trying again!

o

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here