Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zzackey

Can I grow parsley inside?

zzackey
9 years ago

I love using fresh parsley leaves in my homemade soups. Can I grow it inside?

Comments (16)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

The Herb Forum would be a better place for this. A search over there gives lots of info.

Rodney

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Parsley Indoors- Search Results

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is a pretty dead site. That's why I posted here.

• galinas
    9 years ago

You can. You just need a deeper pot and additional light. Parsley is tough to germinate, so be patient. Google some tricks to help it germinate...

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    9 years ago

Yes you can. I usually dig out a few parsley plants in October from my garden, plant them all together in one large pot and let them grow through the winter inside near the South-facing window, harvesting leaves as needed.
    In spring, you have to discard them even if they look good to you, because if you plant them back into the ground, they will go into seed and will produce very little leaves. So, in spring I compost old plants and buy young starter parsley plants that will be my source of parsley leaves till next springâ¦

• planatus
    9 years ago

In Zone 8b you can keep parsley growing through winter outside. Set out young plants in the fall and you should have plenty to pick all winter. Here in 6b I have to keep it in a cold frame, but it can take the cold.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd rather have it inside where it's warmer for me to water and harvest it.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    9 years ago

I think a related question is whether parsley can survive inside during fierce summer heat. Mine never survives into August, and I've thought about scooping up a couple of plants and hauling them inside for a few months. Never done that yet. But yes, parsley is hard-frost tolerant, so it should do dandy outside in an 8b winter.

I guess I could start new plants inside in mid-summer, but it's a little late for that now.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know it does well outside. I just want to try it inside.

• planatus
    9 years ago

It's not nice to fool mother nature, but good luck. Maybe with a T5 light fixture you can do it.

9 years ago

My parsley grows in an area partly shaded by an oak tree. Does fine. I guess that tree is trying to fool mother nature?

But it's well known that parsley will grow indoors. Google "indoor parsley" and you'll find a lot.

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

If you have lots of parsley in your garden right now, you can freeze it in ziploc bags for winter use. Just pick, wash, dry and pack into bags...I do this will dill as well.

Sometimes when you bring plants in, the bugs come in with them. Unless you have really good light, your herbs will never be as lush as ones grown outside.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Unless you have grow lights, anywhere outdoors will have more light than inside a house, even under an oak tree. Parsley can be grown inside but it risks being etiolated and insipid. Light isn't the only factor. It will not have any wind to deal with and will be weaker for it.

I just put a cloche over a few plants and get sturdy fresh parsley - with flavour - through the winter.

9 years ago

Simply untrue. I have a dinette with windows on three sides. My light meter says that there is twice as much light there than under my oak tree. C'mon ...

But yes, you stick the parsley in a back bedroom, or in the basement, it's not going to do that well.

I grow my spring seedlings in that dinette, with zero electric light. In fact, that dinette is surrounded by trees, so the sunlight coming in there is pretty heavily filtered.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't use lights. I have a really bright Eastern window instead.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

My experience differs, Daninthedirt. But on consideration that's likely because you're in Texas and I'm way North of you. The OP's in Georgia so, yes, there's probably more light available through windows than up here. So I need to change my statement and add something about latitude.

I raise all my seedlings in a glazed porch with no artificial lighting. But it is always going to be second best in light terms to outdoors.

9 years ago

I think it's less a matter of latitude and more a matter of the window size and arrangement in the inside room you're using. Let's face it. If I'm on the equator and my picture-window room is badly shaded by trees outside, it's not a good place to raise plants. Of course, the yard outside directly under those trees is going to be no better.

All inside rooms are not created equal.

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living