Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
makete_gw

Saving radish seeds.

makete
13 years ago

I was out in the garden today and found some radishes that were missed earlier. They have a lot of seed pods on them and I was wondering if anyone else have saved seeds from radishes? The pods are still green and the plants is still alive, can I just pull up the plant and let the pods dry out? Or should I just leave them alone and let it do the drying and then hope that we dont get a ton of snow befor I can get out there to harvest the seeds? Thanks.

Comments (13)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

Any seed pods that you collect from anything must be dred up and brown. If you collect green pods you are likely to get Immature seeds that won't produce anything. So leave them alone if you want to save them.

• makete
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks oilpainter, that is what I was thinking but wanted another opinion.

• jimster
    13 years ago

Yep. Pods should be crunchy dry. But don't wait much longer than that. You don't want the pods to get moldy or shatter and lose their seeds.

Jim

• bsntech
    13 years ago

Funny you mention this.

I just made a youtube video on how to collect radish seeds a few days ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgsYg653v1U

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

• sosusie
    13 years ago

Try eating a few too. The seed pods are quite tasty while green and firm. Mild radish flavor and good in salads.
    SOS

• radishking1
    13 years ago

Typically, these are the guidelines for saving seeds from pods: To save seeds from open-pollinated varieties, allow three or more plants to bloom together, and wait until the seed pods dry and turn brown before harvesting the seeds. Crush the pods with your hands, winnow or sift them to separate seeds from chaff, and store the seeds in a cool, dry place for up to five years. I've attached a link that might help you answer your question.

Here is a link that might be useful: Radish Garden - How To Grow Radishes

• soilent_green
    13 years ago

I made a photo slide show on this subject. Take a look at it and let me know what you think.

See link below.

-Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: How to harvest radish seeds.

• seysonn
    13 years ago

This is how I do it.
    When the stem(on which seed pods are) get woodd and some pods have turned brownish, I pull the whole thin up, invert it into a brown bag and hang it upside down. But making sure that the bag stays with it/under it. This way the seeds mature and the pods that open, their seeds fall into the bag.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    13 years ago

soilent_green, I like your slide show. Very complete info on saving radish seed. I like the suggestion to save a few varieties each year. I've keep radish seed for several years and still had good germination. I never really thought about how useful that could be in planning a seed saving schedule.

• scotty66
    12 years ago

I realize this is an old article... but I was searching the web for "how to" articles on harvesting radishes and was led to my favorite gardening forum. funny how often that happens.

I let a dozen or so radishes go wild this past winter and they are blooming like crazy. i had no idea that they made pods! almost look like beans.

The slideshow posted above is excellent... I now know how to harvest my seeds.

Here's quick picture I took of the radishes. pretty enough to put in the flowerbed in front of house. I'll see if i can get a picture of the pods next time.
    {{gwi:111902}}
    excuse my messy garden. just got done adding new beds and putting in spring vegetables. Need to dust off the weedeater and pick up trash.

• brighteyesLC7
    10 years ago

Regarding radish seed saving:
    I had planted radishes from a purchased pack of "multicolored" radishes. I assume these are different varieties. They went to seed so I was going to save them to replant, but if they are all different varieties am I wasting my time (and square-feet?). Thanks!

• sromkie
    10 years ago

It really depends on what you want from the saved seeds. If you're hoping to get the exact same varieties from the saved seed, you'll likely be disappointed (as radishes cross pollinate easily). However, if you don't mind getting a mix of fairly random hybrid radishes next season, then go ahead and save the seed. It could be a fun experiment/surprise. You won't know what you'll get until you pull it up, but no matter what, it'll be a radish! :)

• brighteyesLC7
    10 years ago

Thanks Sromkie. I suppose you're right about that! Radish in- radish out! I'm going to pull all but one so I can put in some carrots or something. And actually, I think that the radishes (going to seed) are acting as a trap for the cabbage worms and protecting my cabbages too!