Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Asparagus (begining of September) NW Indiana

Posted by wildbill2374 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 16:28

I live in northwest Indiana and have gained access to an existing asparagus bed, but only for a very short time. The bed is 20 plus years old but hasn't been harvested in about 6 years. The currant owner is moving out very soon and gave me permission to take the asparagus if I wanted to but it has to be now. The plants are not dormant yet. What is the best way to transplant these into a new bed in my yard? Thanks for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Asparagus (begining of September) NW Indiana

Are you really sure you want to do all that work for 20 year old crowns? Especially when the survival rate will likely be less than 50%?

They are going to be so big and so rootbound that to give 1 crown even 1/2 a chance at survival it will need to be dug up with at least a 12" diameter rootball and 18"-24" would be better. In the process of getting 1 it will likely kill the surrounding ones.

Add to that that they aren't even dormant yet and it is still too warm so that may well cut survival rates even more. I have some 12 and 15 yr. old plants with crowns alone (not including roots) that are easily 12" in diameter and production is already beginning to decline on them.

Dave

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 21:48

Yes, one crown is 5 gallons easily, plus any dirt. It is a huge amount of work for very little. It is like transplanting a 2-yrs old apple tree. You can buy 1-yr old crowns for $0.12 each...

o

I agree. What seems to be a prize is really a libility. You will spend a lot of effort on something of little value. Asparagus roots are not like a fine wine that gets better with age. I'd pass on this opportunity if it were me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here