Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doginthegarden

raised bed soil question

doginthegarden
10 years ago

I have vegs in several raised beds. Between crops I fluff the soil and amend it a bit. My question is whether I should leave the root debris from previous crops in, for the value of it as organic matter, or comb it out? After I remove the main root ball of whatever....a patch of old pepper plants, say, there is usually a network of root debris throughout the surrounding soil. I usually remove it so there's more room for new roots and less chance of something random growing, but I've wondered if it's better left there as an amendment? Might ask over on the soil forum but thought I'd start here.

thanks sb

Comments (4)

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I leave it. Organic matter.

• yukkuri_kame
    10 years ago

Definitely leave it.

Not only is it organic matter, it is the best sort of organic matter possible.

The interface between roots and the soil microbes (bacteria, fungi, nematodes, etc) is one of the great mysteries of the plant world. There is such a strong symbiosis, it's kind of hard to tell where the plant ends and the soil begins.

Plants give away about 30% of the sugars they make with photosynthesis. Who do they give it to? The fungi & bacteria...who give them the nutrients they need, nitrogen & other elements. They both need each other. The whole point of adding organic matter is mostly to feed the microbes... well, they're already there in those roots.

It is theorized that it was fungi and bacteria who first colonized land and broke down minerals to make a hospital world for plants to come out of the oceans.

So... here you have roots surrounded by a rich community of beneficial microbes exactly where you want them, where the roots of your next crop will be growing in short order. The decaying organic matter will also attract worms.

Leave the roots in place, at most double dig the beds.
    Try to avoid mixing the layers too much (disturbing soil horizons).

• CarloMartin947
    10 years ago

It's good to leave it if you can, but if the result is too snarled with old roots and stems, it's just as effective to remove them to a compost pile and allow the decomposition process to proceed a bit further. You can always add that well-rotted material back into the bed for the next crop. This link might help:

Biodynamic French Intensive Method

Here is a link that might be useful: Alan Chadwick

• bejay9_10
    10 years ago

If you are in zone 10 - as I am, this is the time to renew the soil and be ready for seed and seedling planting. October and November are our biggest planting months for the cool weather crops.

I'd dig out all the roots unless the planting area is not to be used until later time. The matted roots will not be a very hospitable place for young plants to try to push roots into.

In colder climates, with impending snow, the wet soil would soon reduce any roots and provide mulch for later plantings.

If you intend to plant soon, however, as I am, it would be best to dig deep and amend the existing soil with compost, bone meal, etc., and if any disease is suspected, stretching a clear sheet over the bed first - letting the sun "solarize" the soil first - would be beneficial.

I'm already ordering my seeds and amendments - getting ready for the big "October" push - here in zone 10.

bejay