Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ju1234_gw

Oriental/Chinese veges, specially leafy: please educate me

ju1234
9 years ago

I was in an Oriental food store and saw many many different leafy vegetables. There were about 10 different "Choi" alone, names were in Chinese or Thai so I can't really don't know what exactly I was looking at. I thought of buying some to taste but there were way too many. Looking up on line, found the web site of "Evergreen seeds" and that was even more confusing. It lists variations of same plant. Unfortunately it does not tell much about the taste of those.

Can some one familiar with all the different leafy oriental veges (like cabbage, spinach, choi, mustards, etc) can give a primer on these or point me to a web site that gives more info on taste and textures of these veges. Thanks in advance.

Comments (15)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

That would take a book - or three books. But the lkink below is a good place to start. Also check out the Asian Vegetables forum here.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Know Your Asian Greens

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Concur: you might want start with vegetables that common like pak choi, komatsuna (mustard spinach), mizuna and Napa cabbage. These will be found in most supermarkets and then branch out to more exotic types. The less exotic types will be found at regular seed vendors. Evergreen and Kitazawa will have more as your taste develops. Most of them come in varoius colors and sizes not the white green and red pakchoi.Pak choi also comes in regualr and baby sizes.
    {{gwi:55265}}

{{gwi:55266}}

{{gwi:53256}}
    {{gwi:55267}}

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm92/farmerdill/Brassicas/GreenRocket5_zpsac9af7f5.jpg
    {{gwi:112193}}

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

Tokyo Bekana and Tah Tsai are my favs. Fall planting only.

• defrost49
    9 years ago

This is a nice start. I've bought seeds from Agrohatai but haven't found the right ones yet. I really like Yu choi and Choy sum. I think a Chinese friend said the name can change depending on whether it's young or older plant. My husband doesn't not care for mustard flavors so I try to avoid anything from that category.

One thing to keep in mind is that flavors can change with cold weather. Swiss chard, for example, gets a much sweeter taste. Also pay attention to planting times such above advice for fall planting only. Lots of leafy things seem to do better if they grow in cooler weather.

• jctsai8b
    9 years ago

Try Yu Choy, it is easy to grow, tastes good

http://www.simplecomfortfood.com/2012/06/11/yu-choy/

It is a cool season vegetable, you can direct sow the seeds.

This post was edited by JCTsai on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 21:17

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    9 years ago

One of my absolute favorite oriental greens is the Extra Dwarf Pak Choy from Baker Creek Seeds. It only gets about 2" tall and doesn't take much longer than 30 days to harvest. It is super tender and delicious in stir fry or steamed with a soy garlic sauce.

• desperado28
    9 years ago

Great info here, thanks guys.

Are these mostly direct sown?

This post was edited by desperado28 on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 14:14

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    9 years ago

desperado28, I will start seeds indoors and also plant direct in the garden in the early spring but just direct sown for the fall crop. I am harvesting some for stir fry tonight and probably will plant some more seeds that can be covered when the frost comes. Our average first frost is about a week away and it might survive in a 6 mil plastic covered low tunnel. Can't hurt to try.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Dirt, I looked at Baker's. Do you mean Ching Chang bok choy? There wasn't anything labeled as dwarf or extra dwarf. CC is described as 4 inches tall. I'm super interested in which one you meant because I'd like to grow something fast like that for my pet rabbits.

• hilnaric
    9 years ago

I'm not dirtguy, but I would assume he means this:

Here is a link that might be useful: extra dwarf pak choy

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Thanks ! Gee, I wonder why it didn't come up in the search box? There are some negative reviews but it sounds good for my rabs and easy for me, especially since it will seed. Thanks again !

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Well, responding to the main question:

After nearly 15 years of shopping at oriental stores, I still don't know some of them but I know maybe 80% of them, as I see them.

If you don't know them all, probably you won't need to. Just stick to common Oriental cold crop type vegetables, which 90% of them belong to the cabbage family. Then there are few in the alliums family plus some melons/squash/gourds. I have tried most of them one time or another. But never wanted grow them, as I have very limited use for them. The ones I have grown have been : Choys, Chinese Cabbage, Flat chives, Mustard greens.
    JMOs.

• hilnaric
    9 years ago

Deeby, their search is kind of picky and if you search for something like bok choy, you won't get pak choys in the results. It's annoying sometimes when things get called by both names and you're trying to find one.

BTW, for me in FL it wouldn't head up--too warm here, I suppose.

• ju1234
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks every one for all the info.

So, I planted some of the winter leafy stuff, first time doing winter garden. I am in Dallas. Early September, we had a week when night temps dipped down into 60s. After that i planted these things. Since then day temps have been up and down, highs between 80s - 90s, but the night temps have been in high 50s to low 60s.

Over the first 3 weeks of September I planted various kales/collards, spinach, cabbage, mustards, Chinese cabbage, broccolli etc. The only things that germinated were radishes, turnips, beets. Most others did not germinate at all. Thinking that i planted them too deep, I replanted most of them, not so deep this time. Since then, a few things have germinated very sparsely. In 3-4 weeks since germination, none of them have really grown much. Most don't even have the first set of true leaves.

Cause?: Is this temperature related? Or may be this is normal. Should I plant some more seeds when the temps go down or the ones that are already in the ground will germinate then. The first frost will be around Nov 15.

thanks.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Thank you, Conchita. It'll be fun to grow little tiny heads for my rabs.