Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have listed some sites with veggie seedling images

Posted by lakedallasmary 8a north texas (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 14, 06 at 17:41

I think it would be great to create a seedling image gallery for the FAQ section. Until then, I have gathered up some sites that contain images of vegetable seedlings. This took me a while, I do hope someone finds it useful.

On some of these pages you have to scroll down a bit to see the seedling

various veggies - some dead links and enlarging images is very slow

asparagus

bean

beets

broccoli

cabbage

cabbage a little older

carrot

cauliflower

southern pea - the only one I could find, like to find them just as they emerge

celeriac

chives

corn

cucumber

eggplant

garlic

leek

lettuce

lima beans

loofah

onion

melon

parsnip

english peas

peanut

pepper

potato

pumpkin

radish

rutabega - third photo down looks like a rutabaga to me. I just plants some a few days ago and looks the same.

scallion

spinach

squash

tomatillo

tomato

turnip - I am assuming turnips are on the right

water melon

this site has mostly flower seedlings with a few veggies and herbs tossed in (by latin name though, ug!)

feel free to post links of veggies/fruit I missed.

a lot of the seedlings look very similar since they are in the same family

carrot family
carrot, dill, parsnip, parsley, celeriac, celery

melon family (curcubit)
squash, melon, cucumber, pumpkin, watermelon, luffa sponge, gourds

beet family (goose foot)
beet, spinach, chard

grass family
wheat, rice, corn, barley, oats, and sorghum, bamboo shoots, sugar cane, rye, millet

onion family (Lilly)
onion, leek, garlic, chives, walking onion, scallion, asparagus

bean family (legumes)
green bean, wax bean, southern pea, yard long bean, English pea, lima bean, potato bean, peanut, soy bean, fava, garbanzo, mung, etc.

cabbage family (brassia)
cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, radish, rutabaga, turnip, horse radish, kale, Kohlrabi

tomato family (nightshade)
tomato, tomatillo, eggplant, pepper, potato, ground cherry

morning glory family
sweet potato, morning glory

lettuce family (aster)
lettuce, artichoke, salsify

mallow family
okra

rhubarb family
rhubarb, buckwheat

yummy family (kidding)
strawberries

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have listed some sites with veggie seedling images

I like the ones that show the true leaves. The coytledons (generic leaves) could be anything. ;)

o

I think if we set up a image gallery, we should post both, the sprouting leaves and the true leaves. I was going post both but I got tired, and finding seedling images on the web is not as easy as it would seem.

Both are useful, but when you don't have true leaves yet, you need something to go by. Once they get true leaves it does become sort of obvious though. Those look just like the mamma plant.

I am so impatient after I plant seeds, I never think they will sprout. I just think the seeds all rotted in the soil. I planted seeds 6 days ago, and it was wonderful to see baby radish, beets, peas, and rutabaga today!

Feel free to hunt the web and post the ones with true leaves, or post your own garden photos. Unfortunately, many of the seedling images past seed leaf stage are of diseased plants.

o

Wow, Mary, very good work!

Here's a guide that has been helpful in the past. It took me a lot of looking to find it then. It provides a collection of photo's and there's other good "stuff" on the site.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Seedling Photographs

o

wow that is a good site. I do hope they add to it. They are doing a great job. Thanks for listing it.

o

I think it would be great to create a seedling image gallery for the FAQ section.

If those who frequent this forum take photos I will add them to the FAQ.

Just click on "My Page" for your username and then click on "See my Journal". You can add the photos to your own personal journal, then inform me by giving me the links by messaging me privately.

o

Hi Mary
Awesome idea and great work- definitely helped me sort through my seedlings!

Thanks-
Sabrina A

o

Those seedlings looked great. Mine look so leggy in comparison (and I grow them under lights).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here