Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
carrot worms

Posted by dunca 7b BC (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 21, 11 at 17:42

We have been pulling carrots for a couple of days and have found that about 1/2 have little worms. These small critters are smaller around than a hair and about 1/3 inch long. They are usually near the bottom half.
So how do I treat my soil next year? I'm not into organic and believe that a decent insecticide will save my future crop. In the past I have relied on wood ashes but, no further.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: carrot worms

Sounds like one of the root maggots.

Best treatment is rotate your crops -- move the crop elsewhere for the next several seasons.

o

Dunca, what kind of damage are you seeing?

You need to find out what it is before you can fight it.

The cause of most carrot damage down here in western Washington State is the dreaded Carrot Rust Fly, but the cure is fairly simple.

When you sow your carrots next year (in a fresh spot), surround the bed with some stakes and clear plastic about 18" (45 cm) higher than the bed. I pound in some rebar and wrap with dollar store food plastic wrap. Wrap it immediately after sowing.

Carrot rust flies fly close to the ground, usually a foot or so (30 cm).

Sue

o

As was said, it's wise to rotate your crops to a new site. If the problem is due to the carrot rust fly, it survives in the soil from one season to the next.

So if you plant in the same place, then cover the planting as described in the previous post, the flies will emerge into a well stocked cafeteria -- that's where they'll lay their eggs and their kids will have a feast.

o
RE: carrot worms -

Details about carrot rust fly
http://uspest.org/pdf/reb43.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: carrot rust fly

o

I thank you folks that are more knowledable than me. I did suspect it was the carrot fly/worm but, had never seen it before.
In the past few years I had planted seeds from Stokes that was called "No Fly" but, they were not offering it this year. I suppose now that I will wait and see how the parsnips fare out, although they are in a different raised bed.
Thanks again to my fellow gardenerns.

Dunc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here