Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chaman_gw

Over wintering Pepper plant for 3rd Season.

chaman
9 years ago

This Pepper plant is two seasons (Summer of 2013 and 2014) old which I am taking in Sun room for planting during Summer of 2015 , if it survives.If so I will post it's pic next year.I will appreciate to hear from you about your experience.

This post was edited by chaman on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 22:50

Comments (9)

• catherinet
    9 years ago

Is it still producing well?

• chaman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, it is producing more peppers than last summer.One good point in over wintering plant for next year planting in the garden is by end of June (2015) it will start producing plenty of peppers.This cuts down the waiting period required for new plants planted in summer of 2015.
    This plant is about six feet tall at this time.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    9 years ago

I overwinter peppers routinely, and have had the same good experiences. You basically start out in the spring with a fully mature plant, and by the time the warm weather comes on, it's already frantically producing peppers. Around here, I can be harvesting in April.

Of course, peppers are *extremely* frost intolerant, and protecting them can mean a lot of work. Some winters, we never even get a frost, which makes it easy. This last winter, we had hard freezes (down to 22F). I had the peppers piled high with foam pads and sleeping bags, with a light bulb underneath. I still lost a few branches. In retrospect, it might have been easier just to start with new ones. Just remember that the bigger they get, the harder they are to protect.

A couple of years in, the plants have stems like small tree trunks (almost an inch in diameter at the base), which you can see in the picture from the OP.

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

I have a 4 year old Hawaiian sweet hot. I'm 9b and they are planted against stucco wall (microclimate) so all I do is throw a sheet over them on sub freezing nights.

9 years ago

That's smart to put peppers near a wall. Makes it a lot easier to protect them in freezing conditions. I was actually going to do that next year, in a bed along a south-facing brick wall, but I didn't think of that as being an advantage. It sure is.

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

I actually learned by accident that the peppers could be overwintered outside. I had them all in various places in my backyard and when the winter came I protected none. They all died except the ones along the stucco wall. The wall radiated enough heat back at night to keep the peppers going.

Now I throw a blanket over on cold nights too and it is easy to use a couple props next to the wall to make a tent with it.

I get some peppers over the winter and then a big head start spring/summer with the established plants vs. new transplants.

9 years ago

Peppers, as well as indeterminate tomatoes, and eggplants, are Solanaceae, which are formally perennials. I've never had any success overwintering tomatoes, and besides, they grow so fast, there is hardly any point in keeping old ones around. Never tried it with eggplants.

• chaman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally I have decided to over winter 4 plants from this year's garden , 2013 plant plus 3 more plants from this season.In addition to this three more plants rooted from cuttings are selected to over winter for next year - 2015.All are planted in pots to be taken in Sun room.
    I hope this will produce enough peppers for us.Here is pic. of the plants selected.

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

I don't have a place warm enough. I have tried in the past but my greenhouse when it is 5 degrees outdoors at night will be close to freezing. Peppers don't go for that. Or sweet potatoes.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm