Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qbush

Potatoe cracks inside

qbush
10 years ago

I have only grown potatoes for two years now, so it is still new to me. I spent a LOT of time reading other posts about harvesting, and wanted to thank all those who share their experience.

I am busy cleaning and cooking, and some of the spuds I cut open have a crack, that is light brown, kind of furry looking Not slimy, and no odor. Photos are interior of a Yukon gold, {{gwi:112510}}
and a Cobbler. Yes I know it looks like a pear but trust me it is a slice of potatoe. {{gwi:112511}}Mostly on largest potatoes. Can anyone tell me what is causing this? Will it ruin my crop? Is it unsafe to compost? I have been trimming out small cracks, and cooking them, but putting larger ones in trash. I am suspecting underwatering, since smaller tubers seem unaffected. July was hot and dry here in northern ma.

I purchased two varieties, Cobbler, and Yukon gold at Agway, and a friend gave me Kennebunk he had from a local farmer. They were not planted in same spot as last year.
Would hate crop to go to waste, DH and DTB are crazy about mashed Cobblers, and they make a fabulous soup!

This post was edited by QBush on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 18:43

Comments (2)