Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandad_2003

Joi Choi Harvest Options/Preference

grandad_2003
9 years ago

Planted Joi Choi last fall for first time. It seemed to taste a bit bitter - moreso than expected. Perhaps I let the stalks get a bit too large. The other possibility is a continued harvest of outer stalks from the same plants instead of harvesting the whole plant. .... So looking for opinions on this last point. Do you take the outer stalks as they mature, or do you harvest the whole plant?

Comments (7)

• glib
    9 years ago

whole plant. but you have to let it frost. It can become almost sweet after a few good ones.

• ltilton
    9 years ago

whole plant

I try to harvest choi at the baby stage, and discard the tough-looking, chewed up outer leaves

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Concur: Whole plant and beforethe outer leaves get overly tough. I also grow it as a spring planting, but cut young before it shows signs of bolting. {{gwi:55265}} {{gwi:112555}}

• grandad_2003
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all.

My Louisiana planting guide shows to plant Chinese cabbage 7/15 to 10/1. Nothing is shown specific to Joi Choi. Based on glib's comments, wondering if this timing window is accurate. I'm guessing it could be extended. FWIW, I started first planting of seeds last weekend. Farmerdill, your climate is closest to mine, what is your fall seeding window?

This post was edited by grandad on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 14:31

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

September: Labor day - September 30.. We usually get a killing frost around Thanksgiving. It is much more susceptible than other brassicas. I also fall plant Chinese cabbage (NAPA) but I start that in plant beds in July transplant in September. It also will not stand a freeze. Broccoli, Cabbage, cauliflower will stand freezes in the low 20's. Pak Choi and Napa will not. {{gwi:112558}}

• grandad_2003
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The 2 Joi Choi plants (given to me by a gardening friend) that I set out made it into spring and then went to seed. I had stopped harvesting outer stalks in December due to the bitterness. I think we got as low as 25 on 2 or 3 occasions... But don't recall getting much lower. Getting below 20 is possible but doesn't happen often. When it does we don't stay at that low for very long.

Broccoli & cauliflower are my favorites. I've planted them as long as I can remember. I usually set out 150 to 200 broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts and concur that they can handle the lows.

If your calendar shows seeding Joi Choi through September, I can probably add a couple of weeks considering I'm in a warmer zone.

This year I'm adding Cavolfiore di Sicilia Violetto (purple cauliflower) and Romanesco Veronica as new trials. According to our local garden center expert, the Romanesco Veronica is a proven hybrid for our area but will succumb to low temps. The purple cauliflower is an OP cultivar given to me by the same gardening friend. I don't have much luck with OP brassicas so not dedicating much space to it...Green Goliath broccoli is the only OP brassica that does well for me.

Thanks for your reply/input.

This post was edited by grandad on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 15:10

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

You may have a much wider window. I can't plant before September because ground temps are too high. Pleasant summer this year, but most years we get about 30 days of 100+ in late June July August. Never been sucessful with bBrussels here, because I can't get them in early enough. They will handled our winter but bolt in February before forming heads. My experience with Green Goliath is the same, better than Gypsy but very similar.
    Have not grown Veronica but have grown Grafitti . it does well when the heat holds off. {{gwi:56356}}

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County