Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can ants pollinate my squash?

Posted by emmers_m 6 Northern NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 5, 09 at 18:30

So I was more or less expecting the SVB in this, my first real garden, so I was saddened but not surprised to lose my pattypans and bush delicata. Conclusion: butternuts and trombocino next year it is.

But this dastardly pickleworm caught me by surprise and took out about half of my spaghetti squashes (the ones I decided to leave until the vines died. The others I harvested, perhaps prematurely, when they went yellow and undentable, but I guess that saved them.)

So my question is, to protect next year's crops and perhaps still be able to grow SVB-susceptible varieties, can I grow them under cover and depend on the ants, of which there were very many crawling in my squash blssoms this year, to do the pollinating?

(I don't want to plan on hand-pollinating, as I would probably drop the ball on that one)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

~Emily

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can ants pollinate my squash?

no, you can't rely upon ants for pollination. They may occasionally do the job, but ants really aren't pollinators. They just eat the stuff for themselves and then go home, not flower to flower.

o

Even if the ants did go from flower to flower, pollinating female far away would be like travelling from LA to NY(flying).
So I wouln't count on ants.

o

If you can catch it soon enough you can rescue your squash vines from the SVB. Using a sharp knife, split the vine longitudinally on one side until you find the larva (Worm) and kill it. Heap some soil over the vine at that point and just beyond and water. It will take new roots at that point and continue growing.
Of course you can prevent infestation too by spraying with strong pesticides, but some consider this horrible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here