Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagodeli37

castor bean poison

ChicagoDeli37
11 years ago

Few days Back I popped some seeds out of a dry flower gave them to my neighbor and went on with my day...didn't wash my hands.

My chest has been hurting but no other symptoms..went to doctor today with cheat pains...they did some heart tests and oxygen tests...I seem fine...I didn't mention to.him anything about the plants..I wasn't even thinking about it till just now...could the oil from.touching the seeds got me sick? ??

Should I be worried..?

Comments (9)

• jolj
    11 years ago

I think chest pains are not a symptom of castor oil poison.
    However I AM NOT A DOCTOR!!
    "Pierced seeds can release toxins that can enter the body though a scratch or though the mouth, should a child suck on a necklace made from seeds. Ricin can cause burning of the throat & mouth, vomiting, severe abdominal pain, diarrhea, thirst from loss of fluids & electrolytes, convulsions, & death." Page 144
    This is from Peterson Field Guides Venomous Animals & Poisonous Plants.
    The symptoms are different then yours, think you will be find. But to be safe call "Poison Control".

• rayinpenn
    11 years ago

Chest pains? Yeah you should be worried. Get a complete physical from an internist. Better safe then sorry.

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Call Poison Control for such questions.
    1-800-222-1222.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

A few years back a wife read about the poison in Castor beans so she tried to poison her husband by feeding him Castor beans in his food. It make him ill but she got 10 years. So I doubt that you got sick because of the Castor Beans seeds. More than likely you are having health problems not related to the Castor Bean seeds.

• topsiebeezelbub
    11 years ago

I have grown caster beans since I was a little kid. Touching seeds will not do any harm. You would have to eat them and probably would barf...go see your Dr. You may have heart problems so don't delay!

• Slimy_Okra
    11 years ago

The oil is safe. It is the protein component that is toxic, but if you did not break open the seed, it's very unlikely that you would have been exposed to it. Just touching the outside of the unbroken seed is very very unlikely to be dangerous. Besides, absorption through unbroken skin is small.
    In other words, you would have had to break open the seed and inhale the dust (or swallow it) to be exposed to the toxin.

So, I would not worry, BUT I would still see a doctor for the chest pain, castor or no castor!

• ltilton
    11 years ago

I believe Deli did see a doctor. I hope he's all right.

• ChicagoDeli37
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all.
    Im doing ok but still working on a appointment with a special ist.
    Believe it has something too do with more acid reflux.
    I am not converting my life over to
    All organic foods and superfoods.
    With no exceptions.
    Anyone who doesn't believe that
    The food you eat is horrible for you
    Then watch the documentary called
    " food matters "

• ChicagoDeli37
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all.
    Im doing ok but still working on a appointment with a special ist.
    Believe it has something too do with more acid reflux.
    I am not converting my life over to
    All organic foods and superfoods.
    With no exceptions.
    Anyone who doesn't believe that
    The food you eat is horrible for you
    Then watch the documentary called
    " food matters "

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor