Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizer?

Posted by tmunson 9a (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 20:34

I'm looking for a good 3-1-2 fertilizer to use as a general purpose fert in my raised beds. I use foliage pro 3-1-2 for my containers; is there an organic granular equivalent? Alfalfa meal seems like a great option, but nowhere local knows the NPK rating on it, they just buy it as bulk animal feed. Shipping fees online are... Prohibitive, unless there is somewhere I am missing. Anything good at Lowes or Home Depot? We have both of those locally...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizer?

Alfalfa meal should be in that varying ballpark of nutrients. For N level just divide protein content by 6.25 so a 25% protein alfalfa meal will have 4% N. Phosphorus needs to be converted to P2O5(Phosphate) and Potassium to K2O (Potash) but I would expect P to be around .35-.40% and K to be ~1.5-1.8% in the alfalfa meal.

o
RE: Fertilizer?

Gardentone is 3-4-4 and they have it at Lowe's. You can also go to omri.org and search "fertilizers," then find a producer near you. I use a locally-produced poultry manure product (5-4-3) that is OMRI listed and cheap because it is produced only 50 miles away.

I like sticking with the OMRI list because they consider how the products are produced as well as the end results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here