Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybugsmom192

how to prepare existing bed for fall planting

ladybugsmom192
13 years ago

hey all!

i'm wondering what i need to do to get my soil ready for fall planting, and how long it will take. what should i add to the soil, if anything? and when should i do fall planting (carrots, green fillet beans, lettuce, broccoli, cabbage)? yes, i'm a newbie, so lets get that outta the way now, lol! i'm in the SF East Bay Area

i have 2 3ftx3ftx16inches deep raised beds that were filled 100% organic compost, and had a pretty decent first planting of broccoli, cabbage, and zukes/yellow straight necks. my bell peps and tomatoes (romas, yellow pear, and sweet 100) are only just now ripening though. everything was planted the week of may 5th. no infestations or diseases.

i pulled the broccoli and cabbage about 3 weeks ago, which leaves me an empty bed, and am about to pull the zukes as well in the other bed, which will leave me with tomatoes and bell peps.

so what should i do, or be adding to the previously used soil to get it ready? i plan to plant more broccoli, cabbage (in same bed); carrots, lettuce, and maybe green fillet beans (i have 3 other big wine barrels too).

thanks everyone!

angela :)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting