Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
butternut squash picked too early

Posted by aurore908 texas (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 21:25

I am a new gardener. The butternut squash patch seems to be doing well. I picked 2 that seemed to be huge, a nice tannish yellow color and firm. However when I got in from the blinding sun, I realized that they actually still had green stripes. They have been sitting in a sunny window for a week. Question: can I eat them even if they are not quite ripe. I'm particularly intrested in making Squash soup. Butternut squash cooked together with other root veggies and fruit makes a delicious soup. Would this be safe to eat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: butternut squash picked too early

Yes, perfectly safe to eat Butternut squash at any stage of development. The flavor might not be the best, but then again it might be quite good.

o

I think I have also read that the squash tastes better after it has been cured a while. Not sure if this applies to one that's not fully ripened, but it might be worth a shot. On the other side of that equation is the fact that early picks don;t keep as well. So, I'd give it some time to sit, but not too much.

Dontcha hate all this ambiguous advice? :-)

o

Thanks so much for the helpful advice. I will let them (there are 2)sit a few more days and then on to soup right from the earth in my backyard. I am so excited. I see 6 more developing but I will use a pair of younger eyes to look before I pick them.

o

It really does depend on whether you plan to store them. For storage, leave them on the vine as long as possible. For immediate consumption, pick them whenever you want to eat squach.

It's better to pick and use the younger fruits than try to store them while still immature.

o

They're definitely sweeter the longer you leave them on the vine itself. I've picked a few at the stage you described and they were still very tasty just not as sweet as they could've been. However, they'll work great still in soup!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here