Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something eating my bok choy?

Posted by iliveforsashaveg Melbourne (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 21:38

Hi there

I recently started a home veggie garden with bok choy, spinach, basil etc. and slowly I have seen my bok choy being eaten by something, it started with small holes in the leaves and now some of the crops have no leaves and just stems. I have tried to look up on other forums with no luck. Does anyone know what is eating them and how to stop them?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something eating my bok choy?

My guess: snails or slugs. They aren't always around during the daytime but when the lights go out . . .

Sluggo makes an organic slug bait.

There is also a "Sluggo Plus." It has the slug killer (iron phosphate) plus spinosad which will take out insects that eat it. Still organic.

Good Luck!

Steve

o

Here is my bok choy with similar looking holes in it.

o

And here is the culprit.

Green caterpillars!
I hand picked a few baby caterpillars off my bok choi, napa cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and artichoke. Then I sprayed BT. Seems to have helped.

o

Do cabbage worms (larvae of Pieris rapae, aka Cabbage white butterfly) eat Bok choy? Because mine has the same holes.

o

terrene- Cabbage worms will eat anything in the cabbage family, including but not limited to: cabbage, brussels sprouts, mustards, broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, kale, collards, and bok choy. I'm not sure about radishes though as I never see any significant damage to their leaves.

Rodney

o

The one mistake a beginner would do is to mulch a already wet bed during wet season. One should know that mulching is not a "everywhere anytime" thing.

o

Bok choy is in the cabbage family and caterpillars love those things! I put row covers on anything that remotely comes within the cabbage family! Flea beetles also like them as well as radishes. In fact some people grow radishes as a catch crop.

o

Certainly covering what threatens my garden's bok choy.

I have never quite understood the idea of a "catch crop" unless the grower returns and destroys all of the pests, as well as sacrificing the plants.

Left to themselves, something like flea beetle larva will feast on the host plant roots then mature into mobile adults. I would assume that these adults would be happy to move on from the radish, a real flea beetle favorite, to the other garden plants.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here