Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
butternut squash 'accidentally' picked too soon

Posted by michelelc 6A (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 2, 09 at 22:05

Oops, I had a butternut squash that was growing in between my chain link fence and neighbor's wood fence. Long story short, I tried to pull the vine up so the squash that was growing wouldn't get too big to squeeze between the 2 fences and it came off. It's the size of a ripe butternut squash, but it's still green. Will it ripen on the counter is should I just add it to the compost pile?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: butternut squash 'accidentally' picked too soon

Not sure if it will ripen, but you can eat it "green". Kinda like a cross between a zucchini and a ripe butternut in taste. I like them alot just like that and pick any young ones when freezing weather is predicted. Don't try to store them for long, though. If you add some brown sugar and sugar when cooking them, the underripe ones taste more like mature butternuts.....But then most anything tastes good to me with enough butter and sugar LOL

o

I like them that way, actually. I either peel, slice, and roast in a hot over with herb/spice blend (Mrs. Dash type stuff), or sometimes I make thin slices and coat in Bisquick and fry in a bit of oil in a non-stick pan over very low heat.

o

Won't ripen. Won't keep in storage. Eat it within a couple of weeks.

o

When I had a bigger garden I used to grow butternut for winter squash. When they are young and tender they are as good sliced, battered with 1/2 cornmeal 1/2 flour and fried as yellow summer squash are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here