Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tonights Sweet Potato Harvest

Posted by jrslick KS/5 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 22:46

Some pictures from tonight's Sweet Potatoes Harvest.

If you have never dug sweet potatoes, it is like opening a present. You never know what is inside.

This year we grew our Sweet Potatoes under black plastic landscape fabric.

Here is a picture of what they looked like before I started to dig them. This variety is Georgia Jet.

Photobucket

First we cut off the vines.

Photobucket

We dug 8 hills tonight. Here are 4 hills in this row.

Photobucket

Next we pull back the fabric and drip tape.

Photobucket

Now time for the digging. Sometimes it feels more like excavating!

Photobucket

Here is the haul from this hill.

Photobucket

I pulled back and took this picture. You can see a potato growing over and out of the next hill.

Photobucket

Repeat for the other hills, then you are all done.

Photobucket

How about this 80 pound harvest.

Photobucket

Only 3 more Varieties to go.

Photobucket

Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tonights Sweet Potato Harvest

Awesome Man.... That is so cool ;-)
and thanks for the pics man...wayyyy cool ;-)

o

Very nice.

I have 300' of japanese purple under plastic as well. They got dried chicken manure along with sul-po-mag, manganese sulphate, Boron, cobalt, and moly. The foliage quality is superb. The business about SP not needing any fertilizer is a myth.

o

Cool! This is exactly what I needed to know. Digging up some potatoes today!

Kim

o

Pnbrown,

Where did you get the slips for the Japanese Purple. I need to plant some of those next year. I have heard of them, but I have never seen them before, in person, online of course.

The funny thing about your post is not needing fertilizer. I would agree with you. However, I was in such a hurry this spring to get the hills made, drip tape down, plastic covering it, that I forgot to get fertilizer in the ground. I spoke to a Sweet Potato breeder, in Africa, use to live here in Kansas, he said I would probably be ok without it. I looks like he is right, but I won't forget that next year.

Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here