Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvmyrazz

My 1st Garden.....

LuvMyRazz
10 years ago

Hello everyone! New to gardening and loving it! I'm in Central Al. What can be planted now for fall? The heat here is still in the low nineties. All ideas, suggestions and help welcome!
Barb

Comments (7)

• DixieGardner
    10 years ago

Greens...lots of them. Swiss chard, collards, turnip and mustard greens, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, radishes. Your garden is beautiful! Please share the pix with potager garden folks.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Welcome and happy gardening.

If the heat is still on, You can start your fall/cool crops in containers/flat in the shade, even in the garage, until they germinate. The introduce them to INdirect light and some direct light ... until cools off then transplant into your garden.

Things that you can plant:, broccoli, kale, turnips, chard, spinach, chinese type of cool crops, beets, cilantro, winter radishes, ...

• LuvMyRazz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! My boxes (4x8x12) have what was called Super Soil.It contains soil,sand,mulch. It has to be watered a lot. Do I need to add compost or fertilizer or anything before I plant anything? I'm going to try suggestions of greens (plants).

• seysonn
    10 years ago

MULCH ? not a good idea. Normally you mulch the top sometime after your plants have grown a bit. It makes sense for summer crop more than fall crop.

Compost and native soil will do.
    SAND ? I have heard and believe that it is true that adding a little sand to clay soil is not good, UNLESS it is 50/50 with clay soil.
    But organic mater (compost, leaf mold, ..) in generous amounts is the best. I have done and started a garden in GA RED CLAY. Never added sand , just compost/organic matter.

most regular Compost does not contain enough nutrients unless it is richly mixed with manure. So you will need to add fertilizer.

• LuvMyRazz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Seysonn. I am a little overwhelmed with all the info about soil, nutrients, compost, mulch, what to plant when! Lol Never knew there was this much to gardening! Would you kindly suggest a fertilizer? Do I add before or after planting? Thanks for your help! (BTW, I'm in central Al.)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

You are welcome ! Don't worry you will learn fast.

About fertilizers:
    I also made raised bed this past spring and filled the wit top soil and compost.

To further enhance, I added this bagged STEER MANURE (compost) both from HD and Lowes. On top of all these I added some ALL PURPOSE granular fertilizer ( I think it was 16-16-16 OR 12-12-12). You can use the general direction on the bag. Now. after you mix and all these, really work them together and water the bed and let it sit a few days so the fertilizer is partially absorbed to the soil. I would AVOID over fertilizing. After your plants grow, you will be able to read them. And also then, different plants will have different requirement in terms of N, P and K.

• LuvMyRazz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am going to try your combo! Thanks!

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA