Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hobbiest

They look like corn. Might be something else

hobbiest
10 years ago

Corn plants near me look like they may be something else.

The leaves grow straight up and the individual growing them has a full field of the plant growing. What might they be?

They have tassels like corn. No ears showing like corn.

Comments (11)

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

It might be bio-fuel giant miscanthus (which looks very little like the ornamental versions).

It's a growing bio-fuel source...perennial, grows like a weed, needs little fertilization...doesn't need replanting every year.

• hobbiest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The individual growing it, does it every year.
    They have probably 5 acres or more growing every year.]

I always thought it was corn until I took notice of the leaf direction.

Was always straight up in the air.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

is it possible to post an image?

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    10 years ago

Sorghum?

• planatus
    10 years ago

Millet, sorghum and sudan grass look a lot like corn, but sorghum is the most likely one to see in TN. If the crop is harvested soon, while it's still slightly "green," then you are looking at sweet sorghum for making syrup. Sweet sorghum is harvested just before as the seeds begin to ripen.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

I was going to say sorhgum, sudan grass, sudanx, or millet too. :)

• florauk
    10 years ago

If it was an annual crop like maize or millet would it be there every year? Miscanthus is perennial and would reappear repeatedly.

When you say 'tassels like corn' do you mean the male flowers on top or the tassels of the female flowers part way down the stems? If the latter it is not miscanthus.

• hobbiest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jean0001a,

"is it possible to post an image?"

I will try this week to get everyone an image.

I think that, that will be the best way to determine what is growing.

• hobbiest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If it isn`t corn, and I don`t think that it is,

I see a few possibilities listed above that it might be.

Are those other possibilities listed, worth more than corn on the open market?

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

Farming is an input in/profit out business more than how much the crop is expected to be worth on the open market for the most part.

On no-irrigation land, if corn isn't demanding a high enough price a lot of farmers will grow drought tolerant wheat (or another area specific crop) because the risk and cost of additional inputs for water/nutrients/weed control/etc aren't worth it...that hasn't been a huge issue lately with high corn prices (which are expected to decline slightly this year, btw). This is just a single example.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Also, it could be being grown as a cover crop, if it is sudangrass or sudangrass-sorghum hybrid. No-till people use it.