Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elc11

Pumpkin question

elc11
13 years ago

I am growing some Spookie pumpkins. One vine became damaged and now is withered and appears dead. It has one pumpkin a little larger than a softball, it is about half orange and half green still. Should I just leave it on the dead vine until it is completely orange or cut it and leave it in the sun, or something else?

Another vine isn't dying but isn't producing flowers either, its one pumpkin is about 95% orange. Should I leave that pumpkin on the vine after it is completely orange or pick it? When can I stop watering it? Frost is not an issue here in my SoCal garden but water is.

Comments (7)

• bejay9_10
    13 years ago

Our area isn't the greatest for growing pumpkins or squash, especially if the weather is cool and damp - which is what I have had a lot of this year.

However, inspite of that, I managed to get quite a few that are edible, though the vines have become very mildewed.

I usually leave the pumpkins and squash on the vine until the small tendril next to the top stem becomes very dry. Then I pick it and leave it in the sun for a week or so. Until they are very dry.

The easiest way to preserve them is to find a cool, dry place until they show signs of becoming soft. Usually, however, I split them, cook them in the oven - cut side down in about a half inch of water - placing foil over the top to steam. When they are soft, I scoop out the inside and freeze the pulp for some great pumpkin waffles or pies later.

If the pulp is quite watery, it might be wise to cook it down so it fits the recipe - (such as when using commercially canned pumpkin).

Trying to keep water from splashing on the vines, can prolong the life - and hopefully, bring the pumpkins to full ripeness.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

• jordanz
    13 years ago

So it's not good to get the vines wet? I was told to bury the vines (not the leaves) and that the buried vines would start to grow roots and strengthen the end resulting pumpkings. I usually spray down everything, including the leaves/vines...would it be better to use a soaker hose underneath instead? We're just growing for decoration/carving is all.

My leaves wilt every day in the sun, is that normal? They get watered every day. Also, do you guys fertilize pumpkins a lot? I just use generic miracle grow maybe once a month...and they only get about 4-5 hours of full soon per day (which I think is more than enough considering we get up to 110 the past couple of weeks here in the Mojave desert).

• bejay9_10
    13 years ago

It's good to know which zone in California you are growing in. My zone 10 is near the ocean - and the fog influence has been rather significant for squash and grape leaves especially.

Yes, it would be a good idea to have a soaker hose for squash and cucumbers. They will root if the stem is held down to the ground, however.

You mentioned Mojave desert - which I would assume is quite sandy. My only experience with growing is for a short time in our local desert - Anza Borrego. Such soil -I'm sure you are aware of - needs a lot of amending in order to grow vegetable crops, and probably would need a lot of sun protection in terms of mulching plants, plus watering frequently as the soil doesn't retain much moisture. The dry air, however, would be a plus - I would imagine.

In regard to pollinating of squash - which is also a concern of some squash/pumpkin growers - the desert sustains a lot of bees - and doubt that is a problem.

My guess, then - would be that you probably would benefit from adding lots and lots of compost, manure, and for my particular type of organic-type gardening, I would leave the Miracle Grow for the house plants --- maybe.

Bejay

• elc11
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Bejay. I cut both pumpkins from the vines. The stem was turning yellow on the one on the dead vine, and the other one I just decided to cut it. I think I will pull out the remaining vine and plant some winter zucchini in its place.

BTW where in SoCal are you?

• bejay9_10
    13 years ago

elc11 - you mentioned planting zucchini now. I just recently learned that it could be planted at this time of year - winter zukes. Mine were planted earlier and went through some difficult months (called "gloom") that persists even longer than usual this year.

The plants are now getting some sunshine - as are the poor peppers that managed to survive the foggy dew, and are putting out quite a few fruit. I'm afraid my poor Thompson grapes may not be with me next year, but somehow, a newly planted Chardonnay grape seems to be showing some promise.

I'm near San Diego coastal - (foggy summers).

Bejay

• elc11
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@Bejay: I've never tried starting zucchini this late. For the past few years my summer zuccs have produced into January or sometimes later. In a year with a hot summer they actually do better starting in the fall. This year they look almost stunted and I've harvested only a few squash so far. The pumpkin bed is at the other end of the property and a warmer spot so zucchini might do well there. My attitude is that gardening is all just a big experiment so I figure its worth a try!

My chiles initially did well then stopped producing/growing. One of them just got a flower so hopefully they are coming back...that's another plant that tends to produce into winter in my yard. The bell peppers took a while to get going but have been doing pretty well for the last month or so. Green beans, forget it; corn did great. My tomatoes have been booming all summer, yet other gardeners in my neighborhood have reported little to no production. Definitely a weird summer.

I'm in 92104, are you near me?

• jordanz
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice Bejay. I live in Palmdale/Lancaster, zone 9 I believe. Yes, very hot and very dry, hardly any humidity. So I have to water at least once a day, sometimes morning and night when it peaks at 110 during summer. I'll try not to wet the leaves anymore. But I have buried the vines and they seem to like being burried...vines are growing faster than ever now (at least 2-3 inches longer per day!).

We have very hard clay soil...but I've added roughly 30-40% compost to it, so it's much better now. My garden only gets 4-5 hours of sun per day, and I have a 25% shade cloth over it so it doesn't scorch the plants. Hopefully I'll get some flowers soon, I'm worried since the pumpkins haven't had a single flower yet! I guess I did plant them late though, sometime in July.