Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanwedding

how do you consume your pumpkin ??

I did not grow them but bought several from a neighbor who grew them.

I made pumpkin soup from a recipe from the 1990s "Taste of Home" magazine. Cause I had so many tomatoes and peppers.

So I have made 2 batches so far. Very good.

But otherwise I just crock pot the cutup pumpkin. then put in a jar in fridge. Heat and add organic applesauce unsweetened kind. Or cut up some of my homegrown apples, peeled and stove top simmered till soft. Add some organic cinnamon(eat everyday supp be good for us) and maybe nutmeg.

Yum Yum. saved the seeds for the chickens ( guy who grows pumpkins, raises them). I also save my grown green pepper seeds for them too.

Thanks all

Jean

Comments (17)

• kbhale
    14 years ago

I peel, dice and bake to caramelize. Then food processor for pie or muffins.

The soup sounds good not had Pumpkin soup, like to try it.

• m_lorne
    14 years ago

Ummm...pumpkin pie? Mmmmmm...pumpkin pie...

• whgille
    14 years ago

My pumpkins

{{gwi:60427}}

Pumpkin soup

{{gwi:114116}}

Pumpkin in a salad

{{gwi:114118}}

Pumpkin cupcakes for Halloween

{{gwi:114124}}

Pumpkin roll

{{gwi:114125}}

That should give some ideas, enjoy your pumpkins!

Silvia

• marial1214
    14 years ago

OMG my mouth is watering looking at those photos. Here is how we make our pumpkin soup, it is a recipe that many eat here in our region. And we use a green pumpkin if it can be found but I've already used orange ones and they are just as good if not better.

Melt some butter in the pot. Shred pumpkin and put into pot to sweat with a tiny bit of water. The shredded pumpkin will turn mostly to water so no need to add alot of water.
    Meanwhile sautee onions and garlic in a separate fry pan. Then add into the pot with the shredded pumpkin.
    Cook the mixture for a half hour until all the pumpkin has given off its water and is cooked. Add salt & pepper to your liking. Then add a splash of vinegar. At the very end, add sour cream to make the broth whitish.

This recipe also calls for Ein Brein, which is a pasty mixture of flour and vegetable oilin a fry pan until it's golden brown. Then that goes into the soup and makes it more hardy. I like it without.

This soup is very buttery and delicate so no need to overpower it with anything. I eat it all month long every September into October.

• kelgalon
    14 years ago

Wow, I have to try this now.

• boothc9
    14 years ago

Pumpkin fries! Cut the pumpkin into wedges and bake until crispy. They're great with horseradish or barbecue sauce.

• bejay9_10
    14 years ago

Pumpkin waffles. I make a big batch and freeze them. Re-heat in a toaster oven till slightly crispy and serve with fruit - fresh melon is good - or canned peach, pear, apple, frozen boysenberries, top with sour cream.

My favorite breakfast - sometimes use yogurt instead of sour cream.

Bejay

• caroline1
    14 years ago

Oh Silvia, can you share some of your recipes? Especially that pumpkin roll one? They all look lovely!!

• whgille
    14 years ago

Caroline

All the recipes are easy to make. What I usually do is cut the pumpkin in half and roast cut side down in a 400 oven till tender. Depends on the size of the pumpkin. Then it can be used for soup, muffins,pies,breads, cupcakes,as a side dish or in this case in the pumpkin roll. I substitute the can for the real fresh roasted pumpkin, and I am sure is better.

For the soup cook some onions and garlic, add a cubed potato and a carrot, the spices that you like, salt and pepper. Some roasted pumpkin, chicken stock, and I added in this soup curry powder, red pepper and a little bit of cream, parsley and roasted pumpkin seeds. I always make different.

Watch the video for the pumpkin roll and invite family and friends over, it is kind of big and it is really a showpiece. You will be glad to make it.

Enjoy!

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: pumpkin roll

• tammysf
    14 years ago

I love pumpkin curry and pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting.

• noinwi
    14 years ago

I've only ever grown the sugar pie pumpkins, halving them, scooping out the seeds and baking them cut side down to use later for pies. I also end up plopping a big scoop of still hot punk into a bowl, add butter and syrup, and maybe a little cream...yum! But I think I'll have to save the above recipes to try,too!

• mid_night_gardener
    14 years ago

i grow giant pumpkins. They make real good compost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Win A Jackson & Perkins Gift Card

• cabrita
    14 years ago

Pumpkin or butternut squash raviolis

Raviolis
    Use round or square gyoza or shu mai wrappers (or wonton). Use corn starch mixed with water to make the 'glue' to seal them. Use two wrappers per ravioli unless you want to fold them into triangles or half moons to make them small. I prefer the larger ones.

Butternut squash FILLING
    1 cup mashed butternut squash (bake first until soft) or pumpkin (use sugar or another good tasting pumpkin)
    1 cup ricotta cheese
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan
    salt
    white pepper to taste
    ground sage leaves

Mix together until homogeneous.

SAUCE
    sage (a few leaves, fresh)
    butter (2 tbsp) - can use olive oil if desired
    veggie broth (~ 2 cups)
    milk or cream (1-2 cups)
    white pepper and salt to taste
    Good Parmesan to grate on top

Melt some butter, fry some fresh sage in it and add remaining ingredients.

Make sauce, use a flat not too deep pan (you will be placing one ravioli deep, so it will be shallow). Put enough sauce on pan and place assembled raviolis on it.

To assemble raviolis put about 1 tbs of filling on a square, moisten both surfaces that will seal, shape filling into a square and place top wanton wrapper on top, sealing it into a pouch. I use a fork and seal them this way. Press with fork all around edges. Practice with a couple and the third one should come out right!

Place the assembled raviolis on the sauce (already on the flat pan) and when they are all assembled pour the rest of the sauce on top and the grated Parmesan on top. Bake at 375 for only 15-25 minutes (look at it after 15 minutes and decide if done, or it need 5 or 10 more minutes). Should be golden but of course not burnt. The wanton wrappers (ravioli paste shells) will cook in the sauce.

• caroline1
    14 years ago

Thanks ya'll!

• bella_trix
    14 years ago

Oh, pumpkins (or pumpkin-like winter squash)!! I just started using mine and my trouble is narrowing down the recipes. Last night I made my favorite, an Afghani dish called Kadu Bourani (or kaddo borani,kadu bouranee - has several spellings). It's a sweet pumpkin topped with a coriander/onion/tomato/lamb-or-beef sauce and a garlic/mint/yogurt sauce. It is so incredibly good.

Now, I'm choosing between:
    - An Irish lamb, butternut (pumpkin) and barley stew
    - A Thai curry, duck/chicken with pumpkin
    - An African lamb, black-eyed peas and pumpkin
    - A chicken, apple and butternut (pumpkin) barlotto

plus all the other pumpkin recipes that I haven't even tried yet! If you want other ideas for using pumpkin, search for butternut squash recipes.

Enjoy,
    Bellatrix

• bart1
    14 years ago

whgille / Silvia -

What do you call those pumpkins? I grow something very similar (same color and pattern, but rounder shaped) but I don't know the name of them. I got the seeds from a Puerto Rican coworker who got them from family in Puerto Rico. He just called them calabaza, but he had 2 or 3 different varities and he called them all calabaza.

Thanks,
    Bart

• whgille
    14 years ago

Bart

Calabaza is a different pumpkin, and much bigger than mine. They are called chinese pumpkins Papaya Sweet and I got it from Evergreen, they are hybrids.

Here is an up close picture

{{gwi:114131}}

And I made the best pumpkin lasagna over the weekend, it is so good that I have to share with you.

{{gwi:114133}}

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: pumpkin lasagna