Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy0903

Favorite Garlic variety

nancy0903
10 years ago

I am looking for a few varieties of garlic to plant - with my garden infested with various pests it was my only success. I am in zone 6. Thanks

Comments (8)

• MickEmery
    10 years ago

Last fall I planted Music, Italian Red, Russian Giant & Silver Rose. All did well. The Italian Red & Russian Giant produce VERY large cloves. My garden is all raised bed, square foot gardening style.

Good luck!

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

Transylvanian. This is my favorite variety of garlic. It's a softneck that always bulbs up nicely for me and it's got a strong garlic flavor. But I think the name is why I like it more than anything.

Other varieties I grow are:
    German Red- It's a hardneck that bulbs reliably and has a good flavor.

Inchelium Red- A softneck that has big bulbs, some are bigger than my Transylvanians, and it has a balanced garlic flavor.

Elephant- Not a true garlic. Mine seem to be on the smaller side. They are still bigger than the other garlics I grow but I know that they can be even bigger than they are. I've only grown this for a couple of years. A very mild garlic.

Carpathian- This is my only real disappointment. After a few years of growing it the bulb sized diminished considerably. It's a hardneck with a very strong flavor. I'm currently trying to grow this variety from bulbils to see if I can increase it's size.

Rodney

• stuffradio
    10 years ago

I only do and have grown Red Russian Garlic, so I guess it is my favourite. I might expand my horizons next year though.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

My favorite is the STORE bought. Haha.
    Last time I grow I had two kinds: Hard necks and soft necks. They all did fine. I figure they sell the ones that must be good for the farmers.

• stuffradio
    10 years ago

seysonn if you buy Garlic from big box stores like Costco, and if it's soft neck, chances are they are imported from China. Some producers spray their Garlic to prevent sprouting, but I don't know if that's the case with Garlic. I know any store bought Garlic I get has no problem sprouting when it gets stored in the fridge. I have my own supply of hardneck Garlic though. :)

• wisbill
    10 years ago

Grew Music, Belarus and Lotus for the 1st time. All grew well and we love the fresh garlic, BUT the best part of the crop was the garlic scape pesto I made. My wife said I have to grow garlic every year just to make the pesto.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

stuffradio .... I don,t think the spay garlics with anything. Maybe they do it with some potatoes. Garlics have many wraps. I also I know that the garlics imported from China have shaved old roots. But that is no problem. And I have heard that it is better to keep garlic at around 55-65F. Or just at room temperature. Keeping them in refrigerator can encourage sprouting.

• mckenziek
    10 years ago

I grew Chesnok Red last year. It was good. I haven't tried growing any other varieties yet, but I am going to plant a bunch of Chesnok red some time before the end of the week.