Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing smaller greens under collards or kale?

Posted by naturetherapy none (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 7:49

Hello! If this is posted in the wrong place or what have you please let me know :)
I'm planning my vegetable garden for next year and I'm trying to find room for smaller greens like arugula, mizuna, tatsoi, mustard and lettuces and was wondering if I can plant them under other taller plants? I would just plant and see what happens but I'm running a workshare "farm" of sorts and need to do all I can to make sure everything grows.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing smaller greens under collards or kale?

Looking at my collards and kale now, it doesn't seem like a good idea- the large leaves of those plants go right out from the base and rest on the ground. What is you location (state or country), and when would you be planting/harvesting these? I started some arugala between the spent sweet corn stalks this year that did ok.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 15:02

collards close canopy much better than kale. But I would not interplant either. Maybe interplant cabbage, which is slow, with something like lettuce, which is fast and gets out of there before cabbage close canopy too.

o

I interplant lettuce when the brassicas are first set out and are still small. But in my climate I can grow lettuce all summer. That may not be possible in hotter places. By the time the kale etc. is big I have harvested the lettuce.

o

I'm not sure where you are or how hot it gets? You also didn't mention if you want to grow these greens during the spring/summer/fall/winter?
I sometimes have luck growing some of the greens under a green bean "tent" to shade things during the summer. Other times it just gets too hot!I also have a shady area that those kinds of things do well in.
Most greens in my area (8ish, No CA) do great in the fall/winter/spring.
A little info would be great! Nancy

o

Sorry I didn't reply earlier! I couldn't find my post :( We're in the niagara region of southern ontario. I'll be planting both as soon as possible in the spring. Not sure when exactly because the may 24 rule doesn't seem ideal anymore lol

o

I second lettuce, mini bok choy scalions, corn salad....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here